You have no idea how new I am

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by The Wizard of BC, Dec 8, 2009.

1. The Wizard of BC

The Wizard of BC Newcomer

First Name:
    Steve
    Hi, my name is Steve and I bought a forum.

Is there a 12 step plan for this?

I was referred to this site because the forum I bought is the largest and most active in our niche. But we have some problems.

The first problem is that I am not a programmer. I don't know PHP and in fact know very little about forums. I think I have joined more forums in the last month than in my entire life.

The forum I bought is Kilts.

As you can see there was never and overall plan for the forum. It just sort of grew. When I bought it it was suffering from an absentee owner and a tech guy that was great at optimizing for google searches but knew very little about graphic layout or standardization.

We currently have little templates all over the forum. Some of them are causing conflicts.

We also desperatly need an advertising plan. As we are the world's largest Kilt forum we have companies contacting us to advertise but we currently can't bring them on because there is no room.

So, I'm looking for someone to help out. I would like some fancy skin for the forum but we don't have a lot of money because we can't accept any more advertisers.

I also need to have someone teach me how to be an admin. Or at least teach me enough so I don't screw things up too much.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be reading and catching up on things for a while but if you have suggestions I'd like to hear them.

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Welcome, I'm the one that referred you.

Nice having you here, and we'll certainly show you the ropes.

3. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    Welcome to AA.

There are many clean and simple free vBulletin skins you can get here.

Do those advertisers not want their advert on the bottom (where there's plenty of room)?

What exactly do you not know about administration? I don't take it you just bought this forum just because you figured keeping it alive and active was going to be easy, right? If you really need any specific help I suggest you head on over to the other various sections of the site and post your more specific problems.

4. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Howdy, welcome to AA

I think what you need to do is make a list of priorities. From there we can assit in working them out.

5. kev

kev Regular Member

Hello Steve

Advertising scripts is something that vbulletin is lacking in. For a forum software as popular as vbulletin, it seems that it would have some kind of built in ad function, but it does not.

One of the first things I would recommend you look at is OpenX. Its a free ad software script.

Then there is google adsense, its pretty easy to setup.

Redtyger at vbulletin.org made a ad script, but you have to manage it by manually. As in you have to put the banners in yourself, keep track of the days you sold the banners for,,,,,.

6. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Welcome here. Be sure to take a look at the adminaddict connect forum.