Xenforo - its just so expensive!

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Joel, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea you would. xf and ipb are both very great products and im proud of both of them, and specially xenforo for its uprise in a short time.

2. Trombones13

Trombones13 Regular Member

Exactly. You could use a free forum solution and modify it to be similar to XF, but you'll be paying in labor costs instead of monetary costs of the software, and it would probably be harder to get support when you mess things up considering all of the modifications you've done. If I was in that situation, I'd just save myself the trouble and get an XF license (well, I did, so I guess I was in that situation :P).

goblues likes this.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Can you buy me a xf license too? Please? I have always wanted to have a xenforo forum

:P

4. Gimgak

Gimgak Regular Member

Price seems just right to me. Cheaper than other popular solutions and so far seems better than them, or at least on par with IPB.

Kaiser likes this.
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I agree.. it has an advantage over its competition, with price and features. IPB is still decent but its vB with the main problems.

6. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

vB4 costs more than 250 dollars for both versions of the software: Classic and Suite.

Whereas it costs 140 to buy xenforo. But you're actually getting what you paid for, unlike with vB4.

Kaiser likes this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Xenforo is $140, $10 less than IPB, and I agree you do get what you pay for.

8. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

XenForo is reasonably priced considering what others cost. Heck, if it wasn't for IB jacking the price up and getting rid of updates, I would have just updated and not bought XF.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I still think XF is better even if vBulletin was still good. But thats just me.

10. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

It is quite good, though I have like 6 vBulletin licenses and about 3 not being used atm lol.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Why so many? lol I always see alot of people do that, never understood why. I only buy something if I need it.

12. David

David Regular Member

People do this because we look out for the future. I'm sure you buy more toilet paper than needed at the moment, so you are looking out for the future. Or if you are doing a tiling job and you only need 50 tiles, but you buy 60 because something may come up in the future.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I can see your reasoning with toilet paper lol, but its not the same witch licenses though.

14. Trombones13

Yeah...the two aren't exactly comparable considering I highly doubt I'll run into a situation where I'll go, "Oh, darn; I need this license already bought, right NOW!" Just go buy the license when you need it--the same thing can't be done with a toilet paper emergency, hehe.

Kaiser likes this.
  15. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

lol I agree.

16. David

David Regular Member

Oh please you two - not everything in this world is literal. Do you think 5 Gum will make you feel like what is seeing on the ads? :P

This is assuming vB or any other paid software isn't going to make a drastic change or bump up the price; but there you go - vB did indeed bump up their price, so Coastercraze can make a few bucks out of buying them most likely before the raise. You may see a great price (DCKShop - they sell licenses for great prices) and you are a developer, so why not take advantage of that? From experience, people don't just buy because they feel like it that day; there usually is a grand plan behind what they do.

Kaiser likes this.
  17. Trombones13

My argument (or rather, counter-argument) was concerning quantity ("I'm sure you buy more toilet toilet than you needed at the moment") and had nothing to do with price--obviously that changes things. :) I did consider buying a second XF license a month or two ago when they were offering discounts for beta users during the first stable week, but decided against it due to no foreseeable need. I see what you mean, though. :)

Kaiser likes this.
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

lol David you have one this Argument, congrats.. you should start a forum for arguments :P

David likes this.
  19. Gimgak

Gimgak Regular Member

6 licences? Crap lol, $1k on VB is $1k too much for me. Once I buy a xenforo license probably the only one I'll buy for a while.

Kaiser likes this.
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea xenforo is so much better than the others, and its amazing how much better it is and yet its much cheaper.