Worth leaving IPB for xF?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by gmaister22, Apr 19, 2013.

1. gmaister22

gmaister22 Regular Member

Hey guys and gals, recently i just purchased a xF license to mess with it, i really liked it the thing is, should i convert my IPB to xF? IPS4 is being developed, and i worry about the future and the slow development of xF

what you think? :)

echo_unlimited and Brandon like this.
  2. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

Well, one of the great things about IPB is that you can always come back no matter what version it is.

3. gmaister22

Not sure what to do :(

Brandon what you think?

4. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

Personally i used IPB for all of 2012 and I moved my forum over to Xenforo back in March 2013 and honestly if I had to do it all over again, I would've stayed with IPB. I could just as easily go back to IPB but after migrating(As easy as it was just took awhile) i have no desire to do it again.

My decision to move to XF was more of an impulse thing due to a merger with another site and I wanted something new and fresh.

I've been using XF for over a month now and just simple things are annoying me.
    1. Merging users...not possible.

2. It took forever for me to figure out how to set up user promotion properly

3. The add-ons/3rd party development is fun and they have some fun 3rd party features but one thing that does bug me about XF is the lack of styles. There is literally one style I think that looks the best(Audentio's Drift)

4. I miss Properly integrated features such as IP Chat.

5. Admin Control--I love being able to properly restrict my staff. I mean for instance, with X
    I know a lot of people are fans of XF and overall I do like XF but I do stand behind my earlier statements I made last year....XF for me works perfectly with a new forum project.

It still feels unfinished to me.
    the development still is slow but they are at least discussing upcoming features for 1.2(the next update) and they recently pushed out 1.1.4 a few weeks back and some other features.

But IPB is still King(in my eyes) with their nifty features and updates and the integration of all their services.

I am not unhappy with XF but I do feel like I have to continue waiting for certian features to come that should already be standard in the forum software.

maksim likes this.
  5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Since you are on ipb now it makes the most sense to stick to that until ips suite 4 and xenforo 1.2 are released. Then evaluate both and decide.

Superboy and boatswife like this.
  6. gmaister22

Yeah, that makes more sense...I really dislike xF's slow development...1.2 has been announced like a year ago or something (that means that they started to work on it), the law case closed on February and 1.2 is still not out yet...

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

It seems to me that XF development is back on track. They released the resource manager and 1.1.3 quickly after the law suit was done. Now they are constantly posting updates on 1.2
    It still remains to be seen if XF 1.2 will contain the much needed essentials, but it will be a good update. Thats for sure.

8. maksim

maksim Regular Member

Why would you switch to XF from IPB?

Unless XF has some amazing must have feature.... that IPB does not...... which XF has NO such features.... there is no reason to switch.

Switching for craps and giggles is pointless... and would most likely piss off a lot of your users.

IPB to XF is NOT an upgrade....

If you were on myBB, phpBB, or Invision Board 2..... then yes.... upgrade away as longas XF has all the add ons you need... otherwise... don't do it just for fun.

Superboy likes this.
  9. gmaister22

Fair play...

I still wonder then why Admin-Talks is running on xF :P

10. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I would honestly switch. You might as well do it now so your members can get adjusted and used to Xenforo. I never liked IPB myself, but that is all left to opinion mostly. And to be honest Vbulletin is still better than IPB. So, no idea why you would even use IPB. It has more exploits posted online than any other forum software. It is pretty much like asking someone to come jack up your site. But, as I said it is all opinion. Xenforo is pretty sexy, by far the most sexy of them all at this point.

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I haven't used IPB in a few years, I have no idea what the latest version is like. I like xenforo, and that's why I run this forum with it. ;)

Superboy likes this.
  12. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I have to politely disagree.

ASide from a few issues a few months back, anytime i heard of any issues of forum hackings it was usually vbulletin who is the most hacked/has the most exploits.

Also, i am pretty sure many people would say Vbulletin is better than nothing these days(except diehard vbulletin fans)

micah

R1lover likes this.
  13. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Like I said it is personal opinion. But, Vbulletin 3.X and 4.X are hands down better. VB5 is what sucks. And I do not know the current IPB version. But a simple google found 3 exploits for 3.4.4 and they were all posted this month. So, I am assuming that is the current version. Just saying their security is not really top notch. And they have a history of being reactive opposed to proactive. I just do not have much faith in any reactive company. Imagine an old warehouse full of old newspapers with no fire extinguishers or sprinkler system because they never needed it before, then it catches on fire. Whoops! No more warehouse. Reaction just seems lazy to me.. But, again that is my opinion

Brandon likes this.
  14. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam
    xF 1.2 will be released in the coming months - this will add a number of new features, that are crucial in my eyes (and some others as well).

You should compare IPB and XF 1.2 when it's out - that way you can get a more accurate feeling of whether or not you should migrate.

Personally I love xF, however some people might not and that is their opinion. I have never used IPB, so I can't actually comment on it.

Liam

15. maksim

maksim Regular Member

I think the difference is... IPB actually tells you about the exploits and actually has fixes for it.

They are professional enough to get them out there very very quickly.

Lastly.... IPB is a complete suite....

While you can get the same capability out of VB, or partially with XF.... you would need to upload third party modifications.

Issue with third party modification... who the heck knows if they will be around to upgrade them.

As such.... IPB is the best out of the box COMPREHENSIVE solution that will always be supported.

I tried and tried to find a reason to switch to XF.... but going from IPB....

Here were my big negatives.
    1. No official conversions that would bring over everything.
    2. No IP.Nexus type marketplace.
    3. No IP.Chat integrated chatroom.
    4. My subscription payments would not come over.
    5. No. IP.Blog type program.

Those are the big big things.

Look, if you have a forum with 500 members or something and no revenue.... sure... switch over if you want, but if you have a vibrant community with cashflow.... you have to think as a business owner.

R1lover, Superboy and Brandon like this.
  16. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

If you are just running a forum with no other IPB addons, I would say it is. It is faster and much more simple for end users to use.

17. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I would say it is worth moving from IPB to xF. Just because xF is a superior product! :D
    *Raises hand* I'm a forum owner with 4,000+ members, and I say this: As a business owner, xF has done for me that vBulletin would have not done.
    And xenForo doesn't? :confused:

18. maksim

maksim Regular Member

Bare bones forum? In some degree... yes... it is newer and cleaner looking, and in a few cases it is faster.

In other cases... it is not.

ie... Multi Quote..... how hard is it to add? So I want to reply to two posts, and I will have to make two replies.

19. maksim

maksim Regular Member

What did XF do that VB would not?

In any case... I am not saying XF is a bad product... far from it. It is a great product.... but it is not the holy be all that the groupies are making it seem.

While XF is nice.... by all means is it not an upgrade in my book over IPB.

Over VB 3.8 or 4.0? Sure....

But when you add on IPB features.... it is a major step down. (IP.Blog, content, nexus, chat).

If I was running just a basic forum, I would be able to live with the XF problems and missing features, but only for a new board.... for an existing IPB install.... it is very difficult.

Superboy and Brandon like this.
  20. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Work properly when released.

By all means, use what you like. I prefer xenForo because of not only the performance and features it has now but the direction it will be heading in the future.

Brandon likes this.