Wordpress 3.4 'Green' is out!

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Brandon, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I just upgraded my personal blog and will update the others I host as the day goes on.

WordPress 3.4 is here and out the door. We’ve dubbed this release “Green” in honor of guitarist Grant Green whose soulful simplicity has kept many of us company during this release.

This release includes significant improvements to theme customization, custom headers, Twitter embeds, and image captions — here’s a short clip with the highlights:

For Users

The biggest change in 3.4 is the theme customizer which allows you to play around with various looks and settings for your current theme or one you’re thinking about switching to without publishing those changes to the whole world. For themes that support it, you can change colors, backgrounds, and of course custom image headers. We have more planned for the customizer down the road.

Throughout the rest of the admin you’ll notice tweaks to make your everyday life easier. For example, if you have lots of themes we’ve made it quicker to browse them all at once without paging. We’ve made it possible to use images from your media library to populate custom headers, and for you to choose the height and width of your header images.

We’ve expanded our embed support to include tweets: just put a Twitter permalink on its own line in the post editor and we’ll turn it into a beautiful embedded Tweet. And finally, image captions have been improved to allow HTML, like links, in them.
    For Developers

There are hundreds of under-the-hood improvements in this release, notably in the XML-RPC, themes, and custom header APIs, and significant performance improvements in WP_Query and the translation system. The Codex has a pretty good summary of the developer features, and you can always dive into Trac directly.

We’ve also put together a busy developer’s field guide to the new APIs in 3.4.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  2. LunarScorpio

LunarScorpio The Counselor

I just updated my blog this morning! ^^ They've seemed to have made some great updates from what I've seen thus far.

3. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

Thanks for the heads up. Just been updating my blogs :)

4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I upgraded all my blogs as soon as I got the email.

Forums should really take a page out of WP's book as far as upgrades. 2 clicks and you're upgraded..How easy is that?

Brandon likes this.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    This is why I love working with wordpress, that and being able to add plugins from inside the admin panel... priceless ;)

6. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Not only that, updates are sync'ed. I wish a forum software company employed this kind of synchronicity between the core product, and the mods. Most forum software companies just release a product, and then let you download [mods] on your own accord.

7. Iconic

Iconic The Original

8. MartinS

MartinS Regular Member

Going to update mine, thanks for the news.