Who's watching the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Soliloquy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Anyone following the Olympics? My favorite's the figure skating, but during the Olympics I'll watch almost anything. (Except maybe curling. Grown men furiously brushing away at ice to allow a stone to slide just doesn't appeal to me.)

Check out this runthrough video of the men's downhill ski slope:
    Video | Experience men's downhill course for yourself | NBC Olympics
    Makes you wish the camera lens had a windshield wiper...

2. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    We watched the opening ceremonies. I too like the figure skating. I'll also watch some skiing and a few others.

3. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Saw the men's halfpipe last night. Wowza!!! It's fun to imagine what it would be like to soar up into the air and twist forward-backward-sideways-backward-forward like that. And win an Olympic medal for it. Without loosing any body parts. :p :D

4. rushdelivery

rushdelivery Guest

Yea Shawn White is a beast, the result was expected. But, it was awesome to see USA Mens Hockey pull an upset against Canada

5. bucket

bucket Addict

I liked the snowboard cross.

the speedskating was fun to watch, too.

6. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    You've never played shuffle board then have you? :P

Arguably it's hard to call curling a sport, but it's very entertaining in my opinion coming from someone who plays and enjoys shuffle board.

At any rate I've been watching all the events each day, except hockey. Never been a fan of it, but wow the downhill skiing, both men and women's was incredible to see!

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

You know on tv all the bobsled runs look the same, unless there's a problem. On tv the complexity of the course is lost, imo, all the turns and straights look the same, there's no real sense that they are going anywhere other than whipping around one banked turn that looks like another. But it's hypnotic to watch, that's the only explanation I can think of to explain why humans will sit motionless in front of the tv watching one bobsled run after another. If you turned off the sound of the announcer the only difference between one run and another, really, are the colors of the sleds. But I do like the guys with no shirts cheering on the women's bobsled. :)

My favorite is the cross-country skiing. Probably because as a skier I appreciate the iron legs required to do all that flat and uphill skiing. And the forest is pretty.

Funny how the Olympics just take over one's life for about 10 days. I can never remember what I watched before the Olympics, or what I'll watch when it's over. Two years till the next summer Olympics. :)