Who's looking forward to vB4?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brooker, May 16, 2009.

1. Brooker

Brooker Addict

Who's looking forward to vB4? Which bits in particular?

Personally, I am looking forward to the CMS more than vB4 itself - bout time they did a CMS :spin:

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I am. I intend to launch a new forum with the release of vB 4. I want to take full advantage of all the features, especially the CMS. Not sure what the forum will be about yet.

3. Brooker

Brooker Addict

I know the CMS is not going to be fully featured from the offset, but they have promised to include proper drupal-like content types and a taxonomy type system too, that's when it will start to be awesome :)

Good luck with the site!

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

In general and despite all the negative hype, I am certainly looking forward to vB 4. I don't know what in particular I will be most interested in until I have it in my hands, but the CMS looks neat. I'm not sure how promising it will be at first (I haven't paid much attention to it) but I'm sure it will evolve in to something great.

5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I hope it has something worth all the upgrading and updating. I havent heard much about it as of yet other then Im sure I have seen the new threadbit which looks quite nice :)

6. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Okay, I am a little biased...

However, I am actually pretty excited about vBulletin 4. When the new development priorities were announced to Jelsoft staff, I was quite skeptical and felt it would be a ruined system. It was pretty morale breaking in the beginning and I'll admit that.

However as time has gone on that has changed. Through watching tri-weekly developer demonstrations of what is happening behind the scenes, I have been able to grasp of what is actually happening and what will be possible with the software. Meeting with some people working on the project face to face, which had never happened before, was also wonderful and morale boosting. So right now, I am happy where I see vBulletin being a year from now. It will be nice to be able to build complete sites without worrying about bridging software or using some third-party application for a portion of it.

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wayne, that sounds great! The fact that you sort-of lost hope but got it back certainly means that it is something to anticipate.

I'm glad you have a good feeling about it; of all people, your thoughts and opinions on this subject are highly valued. :yes:

8. Brooker

Brooker Addict

That's what I'm looking forward to as well :)

Like you, I also felt a bit worried and sceptical at first - but IB could be the best thing that happened to Jelsoft, and from what I've seen (esp with the announcement of the CMS) that looks like how it's going to be.

Wayne, do you run any vB sites? I'd be interested to see what you've done with them if so :) vBcodex sounds interesting too - what's it going to be about? Coding? Or general vB admin related? The name lends itself very well to coding stuff...

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Raza, I think it's a general vB help and discussion forum. I registered before it was temporarily closed but I cannot recall what some of the forum sections were. It certainly didn't appear to be geared specifically toward advanced coding and such.
    And the term codex doesn't always necessarily refer to coding (in an advanced way). For example, the WordPress documentation/guide is referred to as the Codex (I'm sure you knew that :p)

I'm also interested in seeing what other presences Wayne has on the web. I'm just curious to see what he can do with vB. :D

10. Brooker

Brooker Addict

Yeah - it's normally used when talking about a 'manual', but with vB, being a software app, thought the coding angle would be what made it stand out :) (there's loads of general vB sites out there - it would need a unique angle to stand out). Maybe there are loads of vB coding sites out there too, just I haven't noticed them lol.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Me too - I always wanted a site/forum combo but was never really into the website part. This will give me the perfect chance to build something really awesome. Or so I hope.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Me too. I have always wanted an easy way to be able to construct a near-complete site with vBulletin alone. Hopefully this will be possible with 4.0.

13. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Spend a lot of time on vBulletin.com so it limits me somewhat. I hope to change that with vBCodex though it will probably mean a little less family time, I think I need to diversify my online presence more.

The site will be primarily about tweaking vBulletin to make it do what you want. I have a couple of ideas for some addons that are a little different than your average (I hope) and how to take advantage of the system. I am also working on a prototype groups site where most information exchange happens in social groups instead of forums. More of a networking style site. Been working on that and documenting it for vBCodex as well.

You can actually do this with vBulletin right now. It is just a lot more time consuming than it should be. However you could take the forums, edit templates and build an article repository just by doing that. You could even have some forums contain articles with their own templates and others act like forums and so forth.

14. Brooker

Brooker Addict

Nice one Wayne - keep us posted :) I think the CMS side of vB is a potential angle for the site too, the CMS could be bigger than vB itself (if they pull it off). If you're gonna need some members when you kick off, give us all a shout, I'm sure we'll be happy to help out.

Nick - yeah Wayne is right, I currently do just that with one of my sites, in fact if you add custom thread fields to forums then that makes it even more flexible. That was actually a potential solution for the next phase of some of my sites before we even heard of the vB CMS! :D

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'll just say, the easier it becomes to do, the happier I will be. I certainly am no expert at customizing vBulletin and can hardly do anything with it outside of its means - so the more integration and compatibility we have, the more flexible it becomes and therefore easier to use.

16. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Definitely. Especially looking forward to the CMS aspects, and hopefully there will be an easier way to create custom pages. If so that's pretty much me happy :)

17. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    That's a pretty HUGE statement Wayne and very optimistic and encouraging at the same time - Makes me even more excited to participate in the Alpha testing = Sweet!

That vBCodex site of yours looks quite promising as well. I'm considering a new site/forum as well actually and may wait to launch with the 4.0 series - I wonder though if there will be an easy way to bridge both vBulletin and Subdreamer CMS - as currently I've designed the basic style using a Subdreamer skin - Anyway - definitely sounds promising...

Jacquii.

18. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Am I looking forward to the release? Absolutely. :) Don't get me wrong - I love vBulletin (and have for the past few years). It will be nice, however, to experience something newer and fresh.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

That's for sure. I love updates and upgrades, so this will certainly hold me over for a while. :p

20. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

Obviously I'm not as excited about vB4 as all of you are, but I think it'll be nice for the vB forums I visit to have a more cleaned up default theme to build their themes off of. :) The vB3 default theme is, quite honestly, terrible.