Who designed vBulletin 5?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Sep 19, 2012.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Back when vBulletin 4 was being developed, we had that third party designer who was supposedly responsible for the look and feel of the software. I think they were called 'Sophie Xie' or something, you know, the UI designer back in the days of Ray Morgan and co.

But who designed vBulletin 5's layout, graphics, etc? Who decided that it should lack almost all possible colours and rely entirely on Javascript to function? Are they an external designer who Internet Brands hired and who did a terrible job (and whose name should be made public if only to warn future clients)? Did Internet Brands hire a whole design team to come up with the awful style and user interface in this version? Did a team of programmers design the look themselves despite not knowing anything about art or graphics design or usability or whatever else?

Do we actually know that?

DRE and dojo like this.
  2. DRE

DRE Regular Member

^^^THIS IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION^^^

For a software that ain't worth $3 bucks.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

How do you figure that? It is without a doubt the best forum software on the market. And to be honest I like the new sleek look. Plus you are paying for the peice of mind more than anything. Almost all other forum software packages have lack luster security and 0day exploits. Vbulletin fixes them as soon as they know and does a good job of it too.. But as always thats just my opinion.. Guess it makes me a fan boy huh Brandon? :P

Brandon and cpvr like this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

This, and with the production of vBulletin 5 still in beta, a lot of forum software creators should be running scared. Especially if they also implement a tagging feature for members. Of course, they'll have some problems currently because the software is still new. If they take their time and listen to their members, then the software will be even better.

5. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Meh, security is generally fine with most paid scripts now. Haven't seen many of them go too long without fixing any security issues found. Heck, even the free ones seem to have improved since the phpBB 2 era.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if hackers stopped bothering with attacking forums now. The amount of large companies and government agencies hacked makes me think some of the people who would have made running a forum hell seem to dead set on going after the supposed 1% or whatever.

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I think they totally redesigned vbulletin 5 connect from the UI standpoint, it's a shame it's all built on legacy code, even some vb2 code is still in vb5...

7. DRE

DRE Regular Member

O.o

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    maybe :weluvxf:

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Why don't you backup your claims instead of using a sarcastic smiley?:ROFL:

Which forum do you feel is the best if it isn't vBulletin and why?

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    who doesn't like sarcasm!

ai.imgur.com_5OQ1J.gif

Iconic likes this.
  11. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I think vB 4.2 is current the best out there but 5 has a very long way to go to be as usable as 4.2, IMHO.

Bundy likes this.
  12. DRE

DRE Regular Member

If I was a complete noob to buying forum software, I would search for demonstrations of vBulletin 5 in action other than just the demo that vBulletin provides.

Do you know of any good vBulletin 5 sites? I'd like to take a look at them then compare it to forum softwares that I think are better (xenforo, ipb, vbulletin 3.8).

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't think I've seen any major sites that have upgraded to vBulletin 5 yet. Last I heard a lot of people are waiting for the URLS to be fixed - or have an option for what URLS your forum uses - in terms of their new system, or the old ones you've been using. Then also, the performance issues, which they said are being worked on. Personally, myself I'm happy with vB4, and when vB5 is up to par with vB4 - in terms of the performance, or if it improves, and a tagging feature is released, then I'll upgrade. But other than that, I'm waiting because vB4 mods will not work with vB5.

This.;)

14. DRE

DRE Regular Member

Why would he say it's the best off the demo alone? I had trouble with the demo. It was very sluggish.

15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, I can't speak for @Cerberus as I only speak for myself. And the demo was very sluggish to me as well. I hope they get their ass in gear and fix those issues. Because, vBulletin 5 should remain in Beta until they fix all the current problems. If not, the gold release will have a ton of angry customers.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I said Vbulletin is the best forum software hands down.. This is proven.. I really do not have any burden of proof on that one. I never said V5 was the best version. I just simple stated Vbulletin is the best. And I am more than welcome to have my mind changed if someone can point to something better and tell me why?? Also, Xenforo is nice and I do own a license, but anyone can clearly see its on the decline and never reached the vbulletin level. So, you will need something else to point to as being better. which I highly doubt you can find.. Goodluck :)

Brandon likes this.