Where in the world is the vBSEO Team? Mystery solved... at Topify. :)

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Joe Ward, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

There was a time in the early days when Juan was just as committed as I was, if not more. He cared for the community and customers and wanted the best for them.

Does anyone really believe he's too busy to see what's been posted in the vBSEO forums for the last year - or to take 10 minutes to write an update to either ease their concerns or let them know what happens from here forward if vBSEO is to be no more?

If he failed, he failed. There are many reasons for that, but almost all irrelevant to customers who paid in good faith for a product and support team. Time to let the community know, and stop selling a product with support service built into the pricing when it's not going to be provided.

I sold vBSEO time and time again by distinguishing us as the "only professional vBulletin SEO product that is fully supported", backed by our team. That's what webmasters paid for and received from our team.

They don't do what they say, and I can't think of anything more rude than not answering their customers pleas for help, and letting trolls run their forums - scolding customers as "conspiracy theorists" when they speculate this lack of response could only be due to issues with the business - Of course, they're right.

The guy has been trying to liquidate the company since (at least) before Christmas of last year to pay off tax debt - at least that's what his accountant and the person trying to negotiate the sale have stated.

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I would just like to use xenforo as an example here, we didn't hear anything official for so long but that turned out for the best in the end. Maybe the same will be said for vbseo, who knows?

3. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

That's a reasonable comparison.

I can see a clear difference though.

Everyone knew the primary reason behind the xenForo issues, and they were open about the fact that they were involved in a lawsuit. That wasn't hidden. When all was resolved, that was the only issue at hand.

The team was also still with the project, just not active. I don't think they silently left to start something else during that period.

With that said, to be fair, I've heard that they became non-responsive for some time. If that is so, I think they erred. They weren't required to provide legal details that could impact their case, but they should have checked in more often with their community. I say that, as a fan of xenForo and their team. I also say that having only heard rumors that they were not present as much as the community would have liked for extended period - I didn't actively follow the community myself to know if that is correct or not.

If the current vBSEO team, what's left of them (if any), suddenly start helping customers more actively, or came in with status updates letting people know they had some challenges to overcome, that would be a great step in the right direction. It wouldn't wipe away what is happening now, but it would be a good course correction.

They could start by answering these questions:

1. Does the vBSEO team still intend to provide support to the community?
    2. Is there any further development planned or is this the last vBSEO update (current version)?
    3. Why doesn't the leadership address the concerns of the community?
    4. Is the company insolvent? Is there plans to terminate operations or to sell it?
    5. If the lead developer left to go to Topify, who will take on future development?

That would be a great start.

Brandon likes this.
  4. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

I have never had a dissatisfied moment with vBSEO. It was a good product but it's day has come and gone.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I 100% agree with the Monkey :D .. It was obvious it was going to happen though. VBSEO depends highly on Vbulletin. And Vbulletin is going down the shitter. Without a solid Vbulletin product, VBSEO is doomed to death. But, it was great while it lasted. Juan should just close the forum and put up a message thanking those for supporting the product and such.

Though, if he is in money troubles, I imagine that will not happen. He will probably try to float it till someone is willing to buy it.. Goodluck, I only see 2 people willing to buy it. Internet Brands, and maybe CrowdGatherer. Other than that I do not see any viable buyers for his product

Also, if he sells to either one on my advice I would like a small commission LOL

Brandon likes this.
  6. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Pointed this out on TAZ before I was banned. Not shocked. Juan shows his class with the way he handled vBSEO.

Feldon likes this.
  7. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Thanks CM. We had a great run! :)

8. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Agree. Whatever the reason for the change in status or demise, he/they need to communicate with their paying and loyal customers. Anything less, IMO, is absolutely unethical and is indicative of a total lack of integrity.

He has a buyer already. He's been "negotiating" it since before Xmas 2012. However, the deal can't go through without his co-founder (Ilia)'s approval - and he refuses to provide her with sales data, or any financial info.

One day, in the last few months, he said he'd sell it for $100k, take it or leave it, and that he wanted a response in 7 days. Then he stopped responding again, and still wouldn't turn over financials (according to the lawyer communicating with him). ;)

Here is what is funny (in a sad way). How attractive do you think a company is for sale, or how valuable, when you leave its community unattended and have customers pleading for help while you destroy the brand and all the goodwill you accumulated over the years. If anyone thinks that's a good business decision... ah forget it... nobody thinks that! ;)

If there is no commitment to customers who made this business a success, why would anyone ever believe customers or support would ever be a priority in anything else ever associated with this guy?

9. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Why were you banned? :)

10. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Because I don't hold my tongue lol. I also told The Sandman he had a stick up his ass. I didn't expect anything less than what happened so its all good.

AWS likes this.
  11. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Ya, I'm thinking the stick part might have been it! Ha ha :)

12. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Yes. But it's so true.

It is a shame to see the brand being destroyed although in this day and age it seems that brand recognition isn't what it used to be.

13. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

I'm not so sure about that. Even for small scale businesses like vBSEO, they've been able to ride out the goodwill and branding that was built through the first 4 years. Reputation is even bigger.

Would you expect anything different if Juan released some new product and said he'd continue to update and support it? Reputation carries over. ;)

14. Club411

Club411 Regular Member

Hi Guys - Ray here from Topify

As I mentioned before on The Admin Zone a few months ago. We are not hiding anything, Juan does not work for Topify; but Oleg does (I met him through Juan). Juan and I have been friends since 2008; tried to get various deals done between my past companies (Driving Revenue and Viglink) ans vBSEO and became friends. We have kicked around many ideas over the years.

I havent spoken or seen Juan in a few months but always offered to assist him with vBSEO or any other project.

Big al, Joe Ward and Brandon like this.
  15. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Thanks for addressing the thread, Ray. That's precisely the type of open and transparent communication that we all love to see. You saw a brand reference, and dropped in to add clarification. Based on that, I'd guess you're probably as disapproving as I am regarding how things are being handled at vBSEO.com.
    • How long has Oleg been with you guys?
      • Is he exclusive or still moonlighting with vBSEO or Juan's various projects on the side?
    • I'll presume you mean that Juan is also not affiliated, nor a co-founder/shareholder of Topify, in addition to not being an employee? ;)
    • Can you confirm that Topify has not acquired any assets, customer lists, databases, or intellectual property of any sort from Crawlability Inc, or any of the DBA projects launched by Juan, and funded by the company?
    • Can you confirm that you were not among the investors who recently were pursuing vBSEO for acquisition?
    Since you have his ear Ray, as a friend, please give him some pointers on how to handle communication issues over at vBSEO - or how to handle the close out of the company if it's at that stage (which seems quite apparent to me).

16. Club411

Club411 Regular Member

No problem Joe (good to meet you BTW), as mentioned before I haven't spoken to Juan in a few months. I honestly don't know what his intentions are with vBSEO. I can tell you Topify has not acquired any part of Crawlability Inc and obviously Crawlabilty has not funded or owns Topify. :)
    I will ping him this week and see if I can help him in anyway.

17. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Ha ha. ;)

Nice to meet you too, Ray. I've been a fan of what you guys did with Viglink. Seems like solid execution! Congrats on the new startup with Topify.

BTW - You're in great dev hands with Oleg. As you know by now, brilliant guy! :)

18. Club411

Club411 Regular Member

Thanks and yes Oleg is nothing less than amazing!

Brandon likes this.
  19. Joe Ward

Joe Ward Regular Member

Hey Ray - Sent you a PM. Drop me a line soon. :)

20. Club411

Club411 Regular Member

Replied Joe!

Joe Ward likes this.