When you get a new member, how quickly do you answer their first post?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

If I get an email notification that a new member has joined, I'll usually (assuming I have time) jump right on the forum to see what they do. This way, if they're a spammer I can get rid of them before anyone else sees, or if they make a first post I can welcome them/answer their question quickly. Do you strive for quick response times when a new member joins your forum?

2. John

John Regular Member

I do not have the email me when an new member joins so if I am online at the time then I answer pretty quick if its something that I can answer, else I am answering when I see it.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Your post just about summed up exactly what I do when a new user joins. Hop online and see what they're up to.

I strive to respond to their first post (usually an introduction) as fast as possible. I've found that it really impresses new members when they have several welcome messages posted in their introduction thread within a matter of minutes. :)

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

If I'm online when a new member joins my forum(s), I reply immediately to their first post.

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

If I'm online, I'll respond to his/her post immediately - first impressions are always crucial.

If I'm not online at the time and I receive an e-mail regarding their registration (via my cell phone), I'll try to get online as soon as possible - if not access the forum via the phone. As much as I hate browsing on such a small device, I'd most likely do so in such a situation. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to newly registered members. At first, I become extremely excited. Shortly after this "stage", I become tense - nervous, if you wish. I have no idea as to why, but I suppose it's a feeling of excitement and the obvious non-ability to contain myself.

:p

6. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I don't have the time for that and the site members usually post a welcome fairly soon. Now if the new members replies to my canned welcome PM I always take the time to respond.

7. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Yes, I try my hardest to be the first to reply to the topic.

First impressions are last impressions.

8. torque

torque Regular Member

I, like you, jump online (I am usually on-line) but usually try to reply to their first post in a quick and timely manner - first impressions are golden!

9. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We tend to prefer other members to answer their threads first when theyre asking for advice etc we tend to chime in after at least two replies :)

10. kev

kev Regular Member

I do not have the time to do this

My members are good at using the "Report Post" feature. Spammers are usually reported with minutes and banned within just a few minutes of their first post.

Because of the way my moderators are laid out - all across the world - there is a very good chance that my forum has a mod on it 24 hours a day.

11. Blackout

Blackout Addict

First Name:
    Jacob
    Definitely try to do the same when I'm not off advertising and promoting.