When Do you update your Forum Software?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by The Hat Tipper, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea, you don't want to wait to update if the update is security related, and the others I wait too, because I test them, and generally im too lazy to update anyway lol.

2. euantor

euantor Regular Member

Well, I usually have to wait at least a little while till I get time out to preform the update, but security updates definitely need preforming ASAP since details of any exploits patched become public knowledge when the update is released.

Kaiser likes this.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea good point, you are most likely to get hacked as in the new updates the security holds are identified in the files. Specially for MyBB.

4. Sync

Sync Regular Member

I update as soon as I see there's an update available, unless it's known to break things like themes and plugins. Then I'll hold off until updates are released for them.

Kaiser likes this.
  5. Jack.D

Jack.D Regular Member

im with euan i usally do it asap but setup a test board first and do it there

6. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

Any time there is a update to the software I install it right away. So far I have never had a problem with any forum after installing a update. ;)

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Thats why its best to test the updates first on a demo/local installation as mentioned in this thread.
    You will most likely not run into any, but its known to happen so its best to stay safe and wait a bit as problems will get reported, or try it yourself on a test board.