What's this I hear of Kier and Mike splitting up???

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Brandon, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've seen this posted on the xenforo forums a few times, the post may be deleted now but I just wanted to see if anyone here knew what this is all about.
    Is this why the communication on the forums has lacked lately, is this why the RM hasn't been released yet?
    I thought Mike just had a baby as for his possible absence. :confused:

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Mike got married and according to Brogan Kier was not at the wedding.
    Kier is in the process of or is now divorced.

Many of the rumors and discussions of them can be found here and here.

cpvr, Iconic and Brandon like this.
  3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    in your post on admin addict you said this.

also can you or anyone pinpoint the important post on admin extra, there are over 30 pages.

I did see that apparently Ashly is going to answer some questions at some point.

4. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

IDK, I read some of the posts, and it just seemed to me that the devs were p***ed about all the speculation and impatience. Either they don't have a clear plan what new features to implement, or they don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet in case there's some last-minute changes. Probably, XF is so big now in project size that they have to hack away at it for ages to implement new features. If they'd announce a new feature today while they're still working on it, and it later turns out that it wouldn't be workable after all, people would be p***ed too. Well, that's just my opinion, I'm not familiar with the XF project at all.

Brandon likes this.
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The synopsis I posted which you quoted above was gleamed from the original thread I posted at AA and the thread at AdX. In those threads Brogan and others that seem to know hinted at them all being fairly accurate.

The only reason Brogan hasn't come right out and explained the whole situation is because of his friendship with Mike. He does know the full story and has said in the threads at AA and AdX that many others do too according to the PM conversations he had.

In all this Mike is not the cause of the problems and shouldn't be blamed for them.

Brandon likes this.
  6. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I'm so glad I dumped XF. This is utter crap and no way to run a business. Chit or get off the pot! Don't get me wrong it's a nice software package but does have some bugs that need ironing out. You have no updates, no updates about updates, except a post that uses a bunch of words but doesn't say anything.

All the little whispers in the corner about who's with the company, who's not, etc.. I feel like I'm reading a Jersey Shore script.

Brandon, AWS and Forever Young like this.
  7. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    It's really hard to blame anyone for reacting as Mike has reacted.

Dan, I have to agree with you. The entire mess is a tragic comedy. I've no issues with XenForo, the software. After wading my way out of vBulletin and through Invision, XenForo really impressed me. I like what I've seen thus far and seeing the company upside down, on fire and about to hit the wall is really saddening. When I saw how well XenForo was performing, I was actually starting to get excited about forums again. My mistake was buying into XenForo at about the same time Kier was making some really rotten life decisions. As if he didn't already have too much piled onto his plate, aye? And make no mistake, I do not offer that as an excuse for his silly behavior.

The whispers behind all this were really out of order, in my not-so-humble opinion. Someone started talking before realizing the story was not his to tell. But it was already too late, because it is always easier to put toothpaste back into the tube, than to un-say what had already been said. And enough was said to really accomplish no more than throwing fuel on an already raging fire. If nothing else, I hope that someone manages to take a lesson home from all of it. "A fish will never get into trouble, so long as it keeps its mouth shut."

I've watched Jake Bunce and Slavik take a really bad situation and make it worse. I've always had respect for Jake's knowledge and his willingness to help others, but his circular and nonsensical arguments are simply ridiculous. I found it hilarious when he and Slavik agreed to take questions to Kier, to have them answered. :ROFL: I spend very little time there, as I don't care to get wet in the pissing contests, but I do see Kier is there quite a bit of the time. Can Kier no longer read his customers' concerns? Can Kier no longer answer his customers' concerns? He suddenly needs Jake and Slavik to be his messengers? I see Jake now says Ashley will be answering questions, which is one of the smartest moves Jake has made in several weeks. As for myself, I'm not holding my breath that any questions will be answered.

As long as Kier continues to provide security updates, I am comfortable with continuing to run XenForo.

8. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

A
    A part of me is thinking that people are falling off with their relationships all because of the lawsuit.
    @braondon
    Sometimes business owners hate to admit that their company is falling apart. I can see that. They just need to get off their ass and work hard again. Nothin is going on, thus, what is Kier so busy doing?

And about him not attending Mike's wedding, perhaps he didn't have the money to attend? Some as a tux, something nice for a gift to the wedding folks, or maybe, their relationship is just crumbling so bad, they don't want talk to one another.

So, what I assume is, its on Kier at this point, right? And also, can we agree that "Money is the root of all evil" at this point?:eek:

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You do know God had to talk to Moses through a burning bush? Kier couldn't lower himself to talk to his customers. He needs his "burning bush".

Dan Hutter and cpvr like this.
  10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I haven't seen any proof on either of those threads to be honest, it's all a bunch of speculation unless I missed something.
    I've taken steps to put myself in a place where I have options if xenforo closes shop tomorrow. I'm happy with the product right now but would greatly like to see development pick back up again.

PS I skipped over any post my mrgtb and mark b, they both just like to talk sometimes and gary usually deletes his blogs/forums after a month or two online.

11. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Good point, Bob. One I had obviously over-looked.

12. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Brandon likes this.
  13. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

That's the post I was talking about with a lot of words but says absolutely nothing.

This means 1.2 may come sometime down the road if you sacrifice a chicken, goat, and cow in the names of KMA. If in the mean time the suit bankrupts us.... see ya suckers!

IMHO, Bankrupting XF is probably IB's long range plan, they have money to burn XF Ltd doesn't.​

Personal issues should never be mentioned in business communications and the rest is all yadda, yadda, yadda to me.

DaUnknownAdm!n, cpvr and Brandon like this.
  14. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Damn. My thesis about xenForo was bulls eye. I said that troubles plaguing xenForo can affect personal lives of people around the founders. It hit the nail right into the head.
    This was posted here.
    That's basically what I said at xenForo.
    Let me put it this way. You start a company, and everything is going well, right? A lawsuit like this comes along, and in the midst of the lawsuit comes a rise of popularity. People not believing in you, and telling you that a lawsuit like this will break you. You believe in the success of this company. Those in your life is telling you "no, yadda, yadda" and you're disillusioned, not being able to see that the state of affairs are bad - are the ones who will lose out.

In situations like this, you're actually weeding out people who didn't believe in you. Those who stuck by you until the end are people who are with you for life.

Right now. I'm going through the same exact thing Kier is at the moment. I don't have a lawsuit, but I do have my share of people who don't believe my company will be successful, even though I keep reminding them that yes, my sites, and my projects are successful... I even provided screenshots of my growth over and over again, my family did not even stand up and say "I want to invest" in a serious way. Even my friend of 10 years, thinks that not only is CarlosX360 is a dumb name, he believes that my company won't be successful with the name, and what's worse is that he thinks my plans won't even work. He won't even join my company, even though I think his expertise is very much needed.

Those that don't believe that xenForo will be successful has ignored the influence that xenForo has on major companies. Yes, major companies have supported xenForo; IGN, SOE, just to name a few. They've ignored the facts that are right in front of them: xenForo is growing in popularity, and not even Internet Brands is able to stop that popularity, so IB wants to bankrupt xenForo so that development stops and slowly kills off xenforo for good.
    It has to be mentioned. Not the whole yadda, yadda, yadda story, but the vague "I've been hit with personal problems" as Mr. Kier has done in his "Hello again" thread. Because this lawsuit isn't just putting a strain on xenForo, it's affecting everything around him [Kier].

Brandon, Dan Hutter and cpvr like this.
  15. DaUnknownAdm!n

I'm starting to see familiar faces at vB again, so it's a strong possibility that people are starting to look for alternatives.
    *cue the Darth Vader Evil Empire music

Agreed! Stop looking for sympathy and start rolling up your sleeves.
    On a side note, I'm not exactly sure why people are so taken aback by the lack of communication by Kier. You don't have to be a vB historian to know to his MO. Even in the best of times he wasn't always the best communicator when it came to discussions regarding development and transparency.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  16. DaUnknownAdm!n

17. DaUnknownAdm!n

Doesn't look like there's going to be an announcement, but I did read somewhere that updates have been officially put on hold until the trial date (Jan./2013).

cpvr likes this.
  18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

That really bites.

19. dojo

dojo Regular Member

Wow, a lot of drama .. again ..

It's been more than 7 months since I started my forum on Xenforo. Works AMAZINGLY well, no hitches, no nothing. I don't have to go to the community forums, unless I want to post some stuff there. The few times I needed support, I got it FAST and of excellent quality. Which I can't say for the support from VB. At the end of the day, if the platform is good, and it's great, I really don't care who's saying what and who's getting married to whom and doesn't go to the wedding etc.

Between running my sites and working for my web design clients, plus life, I really don't have the time to follow all this saga and cry scared that XF will close, ah, wait no yet, but maybe it will get closed or whatever. FOCUS on your site. If the platform works for you, than it's all you need. There's people who use VB3 still and are running some huge powerhouse forums. And they seem to survive, even if there's the second update from VB coming along. I presume I can work with my Xenforo installation for a long time too. If not, there's gonna be some guy I can hire to code features or improvements. I presume the people who developed it are not aliens so that no one can do their job :whistle:

Forever Young, Brandon and Dan Hutter like this.
  20. DaUnknownAdm!n

I think a lot of the drama can be prevented if KAM would just address their clients directly. It only takes a few well thought out lines. Customers shouldn't be getting important info second hand from mods (no disrespect to them whatsoever), it needs to come straight from the top.

Dan Hutter likes this.