Whats the secret for keeping constant activity?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soulwatcher, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I was with you until this line.
    I have a blog post that I'll link here after I get home. (I can't view my post from work, but I think this is the right post, will check later from home)
    This was a post I did at least 2 years ago where I was at a conference and someone said something very similar to yours in that social media "votes" would help overall SEO.

I disagreed back then and still do.
    The problem with nearly all social media sites is that their links all have the nofollow attribute added to them so the search engines aren't going to use those links to pass any "link juice" to your site.
    They are great for traffic but they don't have you at all as far as SEO or SEM goes.

Back on topic.. The key at least for me has been an active admin or active staff or asking your friends to come post. It's a catch 22 I know but the more activity you can show to guest, the more likely they will sign up and post.

cpvr likes this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Nice article. I didn't think of it like that. I forgot that all the social networking sites carry the "nofollow" tag, so according to your article - its nice to post links to your followers, that way they re-tweet it, and more promotion for the site's url. You still win though in the long run - because of all the extra promotion.

And you may also come across some new users by spreading your content through social media.

Trombones13 and Brandon like this.