What's Next

Discussion in 'Admin Talk News' started by AWS, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Just one big forum that uses thread prefixes to distinguish forum software, maybe? (Idk if XenForo has thread prefixes though.)

Dan Hutter and AWS like this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I was actually thinking the same thing. All software specific in 1 forum with required thread tags.

I do like the idea of forum complaints forum. Maybe if we had such a forum it would keep the tech threads on topic.

In any case I'm open to suggestions. I was planning on re-organizing things during the import. The amount of orphaned posts put it on the back burner as cleaning those was a priority.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Some hidden forums that allows us to talk about things that we do not want to share with the world, but do want to share amongst webmasters.
    I find TAZ big board forums quite useful at times.

Also: beef up the interview questions, so that more interesting topics come up.

4. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    I kind of like how the forum software is separated into their own forums. It makes it easier for me to find what I'm looking for. Never been a huge fan of thread prefixes. At least, I've never seen them implemented in a way that I found particularly useful.

CM30, BirdOPrey5 and Alfa1 like this.
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I was thinking about a forum for big board owners and forum network owners. Have that on my list. The interviews do need to be more in depth. I think the form is a good starting point. When I did them for TAZ I started with a group of questions and then went back and forth the person for more in depth responses and add more questions.

Alfa1 likes this.
  6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Personally, I've never been a fan of a lot of 'private' forums. They always strike me as either:

A: Pointless, because very few will ever meet the entry requirements and hence they'll basically be dead.

B: Sort of 'elitist', giving a sort of 'talking about others behind closed doors' feel.

As for thread prefixes... nah. I like sections and neat little divides between different types of discussions. Sorting through one big forum topic list (even with prefixes) has always been rather annoying for me.

cpvr likes this.
  7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    I would not want to see all the software forums combined into one- I really have zero interest in most of the ones I don't use.

8. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

Thread prefixes are sortable in XenForo and there is an addon that will list them at the top for easy limiting of topics. They can be very useful if done right. I was able to reduce the number of nodes on my site by a large amount using thread prefixes.

9. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

To be honest, I don't think this site has a need for that though. Oh sure, maybe a site with hundreds of forums and sections might benefit from using prefixes and stuff. But here? I think the amount is pretty good already. Not every site needs to be some three section thing like certain big boards I won't name.

Alfa1 likes this.