What was the most ridiculous complaint you ever received?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Complaining members... can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. I try to be accommodating when a member has a legitimate complaint, but sometimes their demands are completely ridiculous. What are some of the doozies you've received?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I think the most ridiculous complaint I've ever received is the following:

3. SRBuckey5266

SRBuckey5266 Newcomer

First Name:
    Justin
    Probably that I could not ride my Go Cart on my own property. :doh:

4. torque

torque Regular Member

Being a sport website and up against some feirce competitiors and people who run or a part of sites dedicated to certain sports (rather than sports in general) and they come to my website and try to discredit mine - making complaints saying:-

"I will be informing the many sporting teams that you are using their copyrighted logos, your site will be closed down"

And many people start to question how legit my site is (especially after I purchased Branding Free for my site and 99% of all mods I use) and they start heading away from my site.

All this despite the fact I am in association with over 100 sporting organisations, associations and teams who have all sent me their actual logos to use for advertisements, or to show that we are in association however by the time i saw the post and was able to respond about 15 members had left thinking the site was going to be closed down or something.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oxymoron, no?

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

This one is simple to answer, this is a member fromk our competitors site making false claims:

Hello.

My name is C.W., and I am from that other community. I have noticed along with another administrator and countless members, that you have ripped off our forum layout and posts and countless other stuff.

As you know, teenhuts work is protected under sections of the Copyleft and Copyright, including the GNU license.

I am working with a lawyer to send your administrators a Cease and Desist Letter letter to fix these issues, if not, I shall be escalating the situation.
    Infringements of our copyright must be removed or changed.

Its all find and dandy that you create your own community, but not at the expense of ours.

Ignore this post all you want, delete it or ban me, but it will only hurt you.

Regards,
    C.W.

This honestly was hilarious, both websites are of the same niche, we paid for the same premium template in which we customised to look almost nothing like the original, obviously some of our content will be similar but none is identical other than two articles which the content owners from the other site posted on ours, one of which was on ours first.

Honestly people who sign up like this are just a joke.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

My most ridiculous complaint was from a guy who sent me PMs, used the contact form, and started threads on the two of my forums he was registered on, all titled "Emergency!". The emergency was that the vBArcade mod hadn't saved his high score for a game.

8. kev

kev Regular Member

Could you delete that thread I posted?

With no more details about what thread, or where its at.

9. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I almost believed you there :D

10. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Someone came across our forum whist looking for Sam Tân, Welsh for Fireman Sam.

They sent me a complaint in Welsh asking where Fireman Sam was. Very odd.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Sweeks, C.W. is a joke, a scammer who got caught.

12. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Well apparently he is still active on our competitions forums :D

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Are you serious??

With all the trouble he caused I would have thought to not be known. =\ I mean he was one of the biggest scammers ever and the premium example of 'You can be anything on the net and people will believe you'.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Never really had any complaints until recently...

I banned a member who was harassing a moderator. This member and I began to e-mail back and forth (nicely and calmly) and I had to explain why she was banned. Despite the calmness of our correspondence, I was thrown onto her list of forums to revolt upon (I'm not the first forum she was banned from) and as a result, I received an immature spammish e-mail.
    I responded stating that I am shocked to be victimized like that because I was actually getting somewhere in discussion with the trouble member.

One of her revolt-team teammates sent:
    I responded:
    And she said:
    ...LOL that's about all I've ever had to deal with, really. It's really silly what some people waste their time doing.

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Oh, I see maybe this guy is just pretending to be this famous scam artist then.

16. Chris

Chris Regular Member

And I see that she made an attempt to resolve this matter with you maturely, Nick. :lol:

17. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Being a site dedicated to spreading lossless files and helping to undo the damage that mp3s have done to the trading pool of live music, I have to laugh when new users come to my site and get on my case for not allowing users to upload shows in mp3 format.

18. MJB23

MJB23 Addict

I had to temp ban a guy one day and once his ban was up he made a thread saying I was stalking him and continually giving him unnecessary infractions. We exchanged a ton of PM's and finally he realized I didn't care what he thought.