What steps to take to secure your forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by TheCause, Jul 20, 2012.

1. TheCause

TheCause Regular Member

I have been super moderator of a forum for about 6 months. It gave me a good insight on how things work.
    I recently purchased a domain I was planning on using for a forum. I got pretty lucky to find the domain, and I can see big things for it in the future. I have done 0 advertising, and all I have are the forum boards created. I've gotten 41 unique visitors since July 1st with no content or advertising.

With all of the recent hacks, and my knowledge of other forums in my same niche that are always getting DDosd, and getting shells uploaded to them, how can I protect my forum?

The forum will be centered around all aspects of technology, including coding, computer/web security etc. This can attract some bad apples. I am brand new to being an admin of a forum, so it is all over my head. I have a lot to read up on.

I have a partner admin that is knowledgeable with coding, but that's pretty much it. He has never ran a forum either. I know a lot about computer security, but not website security, since I never had a need to know it.

It will be a MyBB forum.

Any help or tips would be great.

Brandon likes this.
  2. TheCause

TheCause Regular Member

Update: I put the forum behind Cloudflare to prevent DDoS attacks. Any other ideas to keep it secure?

Brandon likes this.
  3. Iconic

Iconic The Original

I would watch out what modifications you would install, some can be vulnerable. I would move the path to your acp and mod cp if you can in modcp and then htpassword it for security.