What is the first thing you do when you join a forum ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by TheeGiveR, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantanoice

fantanoice Regular Member

Well, I always skim over a forum before joining. Once I do join, I post in any threads that caught my eye before forgetting what I was going to say. I then add my avatar/signature and my introduction thread.

It's not always in that order, but that's essentially what I do when I'm new.

2. Mr.Hazey

Mr.Hazey Regular Member

Set up my profile, read the rules and browse for a while to gage the atmosphere

Ashley.S. likes this.
  3. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    nice to know that you take time to read the rules, most people I know of, don't even bother to do this :mad:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I agree with ashley, most don't. I do the same thing as well when joining a forum. I dont read everything I just skim through it, as I already have a good idea on what their rules would mostly be about.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  5. fantanoice

fantanoice Regular Member

I usually skim over rules to see if I can have links and/or images in my signature. If I can't have either, then 90% of the time I won't join.

6. LunarScorpio

LunarScorpio The Counselor

I usually set up my profile first and then make an introduction thread. Sometimes I'll do the intro thread first, depends on my mood really.

7. TheNavigator

TheNavigator Regular Member

I introduce myself, read the rules and start posting. Sometimes I add an avatar, but I can't do that now as I'm on a PS3 :(

8. Jack

Jack Regular Member

Make an intro thread and add an avatar and signature and start posting if I like the site.

9. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

First, I make an introduction. Then, I add an avatar (my current) unless I change it to something different. I don't usually add signatures only on forums I have 500 + posts on.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

How many post you have on a forum shouldn't matter, as its always a great way for backlinks assuming you will link to your site.

11. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

Well it just feels odd adding stuff to your sig if you're new to a site. There is also no purpose because your site doesn't get much exposure since you only have a few posts.

12. mcrickeo

mcrickeo Regular Member

Like everyone I think it's sort profile out first then add signature profile and avatar pictures.
    Secondly I create an introduction topic and then I browse around see what interests me and start replying to topics.

13. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

I generally spend some time in my UCP before posting. I set my avatar, my sig if I feel like it, and my web address, then I start an intro thread that separates itself from the rest (usually), and then proceed posting in topics that interest me.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I am going to close this thread as it doesn't serve much purpose as the answers a generally the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.