What are the most important graphics skills to learn for an Admin?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by limcid, May 12, 2013.

1. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I think learning the basics of Layers in a paint program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.) is very important because it will allow you to create templates for graphics. This can be important for interface elements and advertisements.

What else can you think of?

2. bauss

bauss Regular Member

You have to have a eye for design. If you want to be a graphic designer then you need to be at least a little creative, so you can create unique designs that are good quality. You'll get better with practice, so it's also important to be patient, and not to expect yourself to be making amazing designs right away.

3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Depends on a few things:

1. Do you have other people helping you? Then you don't need to learn all too much in terms of graphic design or coding or programming or whatever else.

2. Do you need a fancy website? If so, then you'll need some knowledge of HTML and CSS, and perhaps also graphics design in general. This isn't really important if your audience is older or less interested in flashy design, since you can get by with a barely modified template in those cases.

But I don't think there are skills you ALWAYS need as an admin as far as graphics and web design go.

4. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I think you need to be able to handle a certain amount of graphics needs on your own. It will take time to develop the skills and knowledge, but it will also save a ton of money down the road being able to avoid paying someone else for every little thing needed.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I think resizing graphics, making transparent backgrounds, and adding text are the three most important tasks for an admin. You'll be constantly helping people with their avatars.

6. xSouped

xSouped Regular Member

An eye for design, this is a biggie, especially if you're purchasing graphics from someone.