What are the best books on Search Engine Optimization?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Soliloquy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I have a $20 Amazon gift certificate courtesy of Arny's last trivia contest (thanks Arny!) :) and decided I should use it to improve my SEO knowledge. What's the best recent book on search engine optimization?

2. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

3. David

David Regular Member

SEOBook is a joke, it only covers basic things and doesn't go into great detail with it. They've recently rebranded into a training course I see and I can only imagine the trash that you'll get for the measly $100 a month cost...

The best resource is simply Google's very own webmaster blog. Read it about 1-3 times a week, and visit a few free SEO blogs you can find around the net that will give you great advice and you'll save yourself the $20.

Beside buying a book on SEO is silly, it constantly updates and is always changing so that book you buy today, could be out of date next month.

SEO isn't as hard as people make it out to be to learn. Its just a time consuming process that lasts the lifetime of your site and thats why people think its easier/cheaper to outsource it.

3 Things have remained constant since pretty much the creation of search engines.
    1. Unique content. The more the merrier
    2. Backlinks from other targeted SE friendly sites, to that unique content (Linking to your home page over and over again is boring and so yesterday)
    3. Don't do unethical things on your websites (Review webmaster guidelines for the various search engines)

The hardest part will be getting the relevant backlinks. The way I do it is to do a search for my targeted keywords. Every site that ranks above me gets a new member with a signature link back to my site, or blog comments (any blog is good regardless of nofollow or not). If they don't allow signature links, I find another way to try to sneak one in and just move on to the next site.

Gaurenteed top 20 listings in under 2 months, and front page in under 4.

4. mercyjohnsoon

mercyjohnsoon Regular Member

First Name:
    Mercy
    The best and latest information will come from forums. I think the Aaron Wall book is updated pretty frequently with recent trends, etc. and that's why it's recommended more often than others.

5. aaronflinch

aaronflinch Newcomer

First Name:
    aaron
    Definitely I will prefer "The Art of SEO". It’s pretty much a text book or manual in addition to being a riveting read for those that love SEO.

6. WebHostAddict

WebHostAddict Newcomer

First Name:
    John
    I learned SEO not from Book but from my experience in Internet.
    I think there is no need to search for a book when there is Internet holds enough details about SEO.
    I never recognize any SEO author books except Matt Cutt's book. Also, we cannot afford to spend every month for the latest version of book. SEO is the field where you will find changes in the way and techniques frequently. Even you can see the latest Google Panda update that just reduced the worth of article submission.
    So, i recommend to learn SEO by doing it practically and try to get involve in some projects and participate forums to get latest update trends in SEO.
    Thanks.

7. Marker1z

Marker1z Regular Member

First Name:
    Marker
    I Will suggest these two books

Online Marketing Inside Out by Brandon Eley & Shayne Tilley

Peter Kent’s Search Engine Optimization For Dummies