Was phpBB your first forum?

Discussion in 'phpBB Discussions' started by TSUFanatic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. SticKer

SticKer Regular Member

My first foum was vbulletin.

Before zeroing on vbulletin I tried and used phpbb, smf, ipb and vbulletin. Among these vbulletin suited me the best and I still run vbulletin.

2. limcid

limcid Regular Member

Yes, phpBB was my first forum experience. I did some research and decided to give it a go. I'm happy with it and haven't had any problems. The learning curve was no big deal since there's a very large community of support.

3. Programmers World

Programmers World Regular Member

I use phpBB, but not because it was the first I heard, it was one of the many that I tried, and it was my favorite. phpBB is good, but only if the administrator is good enough to know how to make it that way.

4. gsv

gsv Regular Member

I started with phbb1 in late 2000, worked with phpbb2 for a while, now ended up with vbulletin 3.8 and moving to Xenforo soon.

5. Programmers World

Programmers World Regular Member

I actually have a copy of phpBB1, and I have tried installing it just for fun, but it doesn't work. I do not know why, but apparently phpBB1 doesn't work because most servers have a different configuration than what is required for phpBB1. I do not know if that is true or not, but that is what I read online.

6. LittleOne

LittleOne Regular Member

PhpBB was my first forum too ! Back then, it was by far the best option available : free, easy to set up, and totally customizable. Now we have more choices, and actually I don't have any phpBB forum anymore.
    If I ever start another board, I don't think I will pick phpBB either, to me it is more something of the past : maybe it's because I started with it and now I “moved on”, or maybe it's because phpBB itself is kind of outdated, I don't know.

7. deansaliba

deansaliba Regular Member

No, the first forum I hosted was a YABB one (remember that?), but before I learnt how to host my own forums I used a lot of remotely hosted forums like Proboards. :)

8. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

phpbb was the very first platform I worked on. The site was called TorontoStreetRacing.com and it was aired on A&E.

After we went to vBulletin, a smart move! vB was really good to us. But I was only a mod / volunteer on the site until it was sold 2x, I was the 3rd purchaser... buying what I built.

Site has since been sold to iB under a new domain name and is super dead with 80,000+ members :(

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Regular Member

My very first forum software, and the first I ever heard about was Invision Board, it was free though.

It was IPB version 1.3, and still could use for free version 2.0 before they turned a paid-only forum software, despite I set up also phpBB by this time, but for a friend and certainly I didn't like it.

However before moving to a free solution, I tried briefly vBulletin 3 and then phpBB upgraded to version 3 (think so) and it was better worst than the version that I tried before.

Therefore, I opted for myBB instead before moving to a different software again.

10. Octer

Octer Regular Member

phpBB2 was my first, and I currently run two phpBB3 boards. I am seriously considering switching one of them (it is somewhat slow) to Vanilla forums. I really like the direction Vanilla is headed.

11. Mariofan13

Mariofan13 Regular Member

Yes, the phpBB2 version from forumotion, but I've never used a "real" phpBB. I think, it's not as secure as a paid software like WBB3, Xenforo or IPB (vB is not secure too, we could see in the last weeks^^)

12. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I second this. I tried phpbb on another forum when my forum was up and running. I didn't like the software and I've also tried SMF. I run Xenforo now.

13. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Yes, phpBB2 was the first real forum software I used, on a free forum hosted environment at myfreeforum.org. I later moved onto freeforums.org and finally switched over to phpBB3 in 2008 with ProphpBB, and then in 2009 switched to self hosting.

I have been using Xenforo since June 2012 and don't regret switching, but I would still happily use phpBB for any other projects that might prop up :)