VPS IP questions

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Abomination, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I've been reading and it seems that some email providers such as gmail/yahoo will black list certain IPs if they think that IP is spamming. On a shared account it is quite possible that someone can send out a number of emails such as a newsletter from a forum such as AA which would trigger that happening i.e. my emails may not go through to people if someone else on the shared server has caused black listing of the IP.

I am curious about dedicated IPs on a vps. Right now I'm with Hostgator and according to this link even if using a dedicated IP available for an extra $2/month on a shared hosting account the emails still goes out through another IP other than the one assigned to the account. So in at least that situation the problem still exists.

Does anyone know if that is what happens on a vps dedicated IP? Does every account on a VPS server use the same IP address for sending emails? I'm specifically thinking of ServInt VPS at the moment. I'm not ready to switch hosting providers at the time but am doing the research.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Moved to "Domains, Hosting & Servers".

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Thanks Chris, I could not figure out where to put the thread.

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I found this on the ServInt site, can anyone tell me if that has anything to do with the email IPs?

Does the server come with dedicated IP addresses for each site? How many?

All VPS accounts include 4 IPs. If you're using cPanel, for example, this gives you a primary IP, 2 nameserver IPs, and another IP you can use to setup your virtual hosts. Alternately, you can set your host IP, their primary DNS server, and your shared hosting IP to be the same, your 2nd DNS server as the 2nd IP, and have 2 free.

We suggest you do name-based virtual hosting, which allows you to use one IP for many domains. There's no quality advantage to using multiple IPs, and it makes administration easier. However, should you require more, extra IPs are available for $1/month each.

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I contacted ServInt, this was their reply, this is fantastic news!:

"The emails sent from a specific VPS come from one of the IPs assigned to that specific VPS. No one else will be able to get your IPs blacklisted. While you have the IPs, you will be the only one with the ability to use them."

6. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Awesome news! I was just wondering this myself, as one of my sites on a shared account had their IP blacklisted by Gmail.

7. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I'm pretty sure VPS accounts come with at least one unique IP, when I signed up for one from my current host, I end up logging into the control panel from an IP based address rather than the host, and just entering said IP in the address bar leads to said site in the same way as the domain name.

So no, no one else using a VPS can cause your site to get blacklisted.