Visitor Messages Email Notification

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ArnyVee, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I've been wanting to have a way that users get an email notification when a visitor message is placed on their account. Or, maybe they get a PM when someone adds a visitor message which would, in turn, send them a note via email that they have a new PM.

There's this mod: Shishir - Visitor Message Email Notification - vBulletin.org Forum out there, but it doesn't seem to do the full job and no one seems to be updating it.

Has someone come up with a different way to do this? Or, would you suggest against having this option?

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We have the shishir one installed and it has always worked very well for us. It wont send a PM when someone gets a VM but it does send the emails properly. I dont think theres another one out there.

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Thanks Michael. I guess that I'll give it a try and see how it works :D

4. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Seems to work alright. Just don't like the "plain" email with no url links or links back to their own profile, no opt-out option, etc.

I've edited it to the point where the person receiving it can get a link back to the page and a profile field where they can opt-out of receiving the emails.

But, overall it's a great option to have! :D

5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Share your phrase with us Arny if you can :D I wouldnt mind seeing what you have used ;)

6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Here's what I used.....

Setup Option to Receive or not Receive Visitor Messages via Email

AND

Code:
    $VMEN_message = 'You have a new profile message at http://www.MagicThemeParks.com/mk/forum from ' . $vbulletin->userinfo['username'] . "\n\r" . "\n\r" . 'Thanks!' . "\n\r" . "\n\r" . 'To Opt-Out of these emails, simply edit your details under the UserCP link.';
    was used on lines 21 and 30 of the Shishir_VMEN.xml file. I replaced the code that was there with what I have listed.

Basically, to add a "line break", you add....

Code:
    . "\n\r" .

...and anything between the single quotes is going to display as text in the email.....

Code:
    'To Opt-Out of these emails, simply edit your details under the UserCP link.'

....but I'd like to know how to point them back to their profile correctly from the email. But, I'm not so good with php :D

7. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

change

Code:
    'To Opt-Out of these emails, simply edit your details under the UserCP link.'
    to

Code:
    'You can opt out of these emails at http://www.MagicThemeParks.com/mk/forum/usercp.php'
    That will redirect them to the user control panel at your forum.

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

twhiting, thanks for that. But, I want to send them to their own profile to view their visitor message, not the usercp.

Any idea as to how to do that?