vBulletin won't save settings!

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Ben, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben Regular Member

I'm having trouble with my vBulletin - it won't save the settings! This only happens when I have more than one group of settings loaded at a time (for example, when I try to save the 'Show all settings' in the vB Options).

This has only started to happen since I moved servers (hosts) - is there any way to fix it? It is quite annoying.

It also won't save my module settings for GAZ - it just creates a new modules set every time I try to save it. Please help there too?

(BTW, this is also posted here: vBulletin won't save settings!, I just thought it would be best to post it here as well, since I know there are vB users here too)

2. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Err, I just got an error on Vb.com site... :eek:

I guess let's look at this one step at a time.

You moved servers.

When you got the new server, was everything working properly right away or was it some time after?

Have you disabled the plugin system or all plugins individually?

Just trying to go through some basic steps here and it might lead you to finding your problem.

3. Ben

Ben Regular Member

Hey, thanks for the reply.

When I moved servers, I also converted to vBulletin - from MyBB. After the fresh install (well, I guess not "fresh" in the literal sense, but with no add-ons), no settings would save.

A bit miffed, I tried a clean, fresh, install in a temp. directory, but the settings wouldn't save there either.

(Both times I had no plugins installed)

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Well...hmmm.

I've got no experience in this area as its dealing w/ a conversion. I would suspect you've done a proper port over....so off the top of my head.

Your temp directory attempt causes concern for me....and idk but leads me to think a server issue??

I don't know, I can't really help I think.

5. Ben

Ben Regular Member

I removed the temp. directory immediately after seeing the settings would not be saved - why does it cause concern?

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

This to me says that a stock vB install was not working properly. So either something is misconfigured or it is configured correctly but the server itself that it is running on is wonky with it.

That is my only conclusion w/ this vague situation. Going purely by the seat of me pants... lol

7. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Check Maintenance > Diagnostics > Problematic Webserver Modules See if anything shows up there.

Also, is there anything in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host)?

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It sounds like a permissions issue that your host may need to check out. Do you have full access to the server?

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

The problem is most likely web server security called "Suhosin". I had the same problem also, if I only open one setting it will save it, but if I try to save all all the settings (by expanding them all). It doesn't save them. You need to disable Suhosin I'd say if it's happening when you expand all the vBulletin Options and Style settings (where you have footer, header, head includes and all style colours) etc. And fails to save those two long list of settings. But does save small individual settings no problem.

You might also need your memory limit raising also. But I'd hazard a guess the problem is most likely Suhosin first. Check your PHP INI in vBulletin and see what the Memory Limit is set too, and if Suhosin is enabled. If it's set to 64mb, ask your host to up it to 128mb for vBulletin use (but that might not be the issue). If the problem still persists, then ask them to disable Suhosin next if that's enabled.

If you search vBulletin.com. There are some lines of code posted by staff members you can try in a .htaccess file to disable it yourself. But it might not work, as some host don't allow you to disable it using .htaccess in the ROOT from your end.

PS:
    Your not using "NameCheap" as your host by chance, if you are I can tell you how to fix the issue with them yourself easy. Both "NameCheap" and "ASmallOrange" suffer from this problem due to them using Suhosin. But NameCheap offer you the option in your cPanel to download and use a custom php.ini (designed for use with vBulletin) into your ROOT directory, that has Suhosin disabled in it already.

With ASmallOrange you can add code to a .htaccess file to disable it - to fix it with them that way instead. As they don't offer a custom php.ini file to use like NameCheap.

The problem is, there are two areas in vBulletin were you have two very long list of settings

1: (vBulletin Options - fully expanded)
    2: Style Settings (the main long one were you can add CSS)

And neither sit well with servers using Suhosin when you try to save them both.

6 people like this.
  10. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Holy craptastic! mrgtb just whipped out the e-sabre and slayed this beast! lol

Well, hopefully Ben reports back to confirm, but that is pretty awesome mrgtbbbbbbb!!

I've got to hit the greenie + for you b/c it is a comprehensive and helpful post.

(edit: hate being the 10th post!! I go off into white wonder land!!!)

11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It's also maybe worth noting, that when they re-design the Admin CP layout. This issue needs to be taken into serious consideration by doing away with one huge expandable settings options like they have now in two areas, too solve the Suhosin issue. This doesn't happen with other software like IPB, phpBB3, SMF or MyBB. But then they don't have the huge list of expandable options causing this issue when saved like vBulletin does. Instead they are all split into much smaller sections to be saved.

But I suspect vBulletin already know this is an issue that needs changing!