vBulletin.com is running vBulletin 5 [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Well not just the load, or maybe that's the issue as well.
    I have the "new topics" link set as my bookmark, but viewing a thread from my alerts is strange especially if it's a comment since it sort of messes the thread view up IMO. Also I would think they would have alerts for quoted messages, those are what really drive conversation at this forum at least. Also tagging users, but that's a 3rd party mod here so I don't expect vBulletin to be a leader and add that themselves.
    I like the idea of the comment system now that I've messed around with it, but their implementation is just screwy somehow. O.o

It's strange that they wouldn't have decent technology setup on their webservers being the "forum leader".

2. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Beyond strange, it's [****][****][****][****]ing asinine. But asinine is what Internet Brands does best.

Brandon likes this.
  3. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Without this post, i would have thought that you're the new mark.b and being sponsored soon by IB:P

And i don't agree with
    As vB4 came out (with the new database query world record) they had AFAIK the same performance problems and one would think that had their lesson, but it's still => queries don't countĀ©IB and it seems that they have no idea how they effect the hardware:d
    I don't want to know how many servers they need now to be able to run vB5:D

I also don't agree with
    MAYBE it's repairable, but it needs a complete rewrite AGAIN to get something usable!
    I'm sure they'll fix many bugs again(wasting time with bugfixing instead of working on something new..) and 5.1-5.4 will become usable, but the basis is horrible and they can't fix it anymore without another year of coding:D
    You also need to have in mind,that big changes have many side effects (e.g. addons could break! Do you think addon coders will continue to create addons if the addon breaks on each new vB release? hadn't wee seen this with vB4?:) people prefered to stay with the old (buggy) vB4 version, because their custom style didn't work with the newest vB4 version)

The question is: how many of their remaining customers will play the game with the playing rules from IBs and wait for all the missing features and bugfixes?
    How many vB3 users waited for vB5 because vB4 was horrible and they waited for something more usable...

And what should they now do? Wait another year? (e.g. one of my clients wants to move to vB5, i was able to stop his interest in moving to vB4, now i have to do the same thing.. and that's money that i'm losing because i prefer to be honest to my long time clients and make less money as to say "i'll start the work next week! pls pay me the money NOW, because i'm sure i'll never ever hear something of you, once you're running vB5! Not because it's so great and easy and you don't need any technical support anymore, you'll see;) "

It's just IPB who's the winner of this round because they're making everything right...
    They're working on their next major release (AND IMO THEY KNOW more about forums, how they should work then IB), they're releasing news to their blog http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-8650-ips-social-suite-40/ they have even a seperate blog category for 3rd party developers to inform the users about upcoming changes http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/4445-the-development-channel/

Brandon likes this.
  4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have found 1 other live vbulletin 5 site with the exception of vbulletin.com and my test site in Google. There are 14 results total with all of them not live. Most look like they upgraded to vbulletin 5 and then rolled back to vbulletin 4 or just closed them down.

This tells me that sales aren't all rosy as Lawrence would have you think. It also makes the decision to release as gold to kick in support more ominous. If they can't make it on new licenses then they'll try to make on support sales.

I am starting to think that vbulletin 4 didn't make IB a ton of money. They knew they would alienate the few users left if they slapped $199 support package after 1 month on current vbulletin 4 license. Instead they release vbulletin 5 with 1 month free support and charge $199 for a 6 month support package.

The problem here is that after the vbulletin 4 release debacle many users took a wait and see attitude with vbulletin 5. Their worst fears were realized with the current release. So community admins that stayed on 3.8 will either have to upgrade to vbulletin 4, which I admit is pretty good now, or move to another product. That could mean a small influx of money for IB from vbulletin 4 upgrade license sales or it could mean an even worse money drain as these admins move to another platform altogether.

At this point IB should really consider selling it off. After 5 years I don't see anything that leads me to believe they know how to run a software house. As with most big companies the bean counters run things and rarely if ever does that benefit end users.

ragtek and Brandon like this.
  5. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Not sure about this.
    People buy a license for vB4/vB5 which means only because we don't see any vB5 boards doesn't mean no income for IB. Most of them are running vB4 (at least that's what i've installed for clients, which wanted to run vB and where i wasn't able to convince them of something else)
    But it wouldn't surprise me, if they aren't so good like some years ago... That's probably the reason for the higher price:D

6. HWS

HWS Regular Member

The company is just insane. The early release makes more harm than good. I assume vB will be restarted using XF as its new code base.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So I just tried to add a few tags to one of my threads and got this ugly error :thumbsdown:

ai.imgur.com_hdpaFcU.png_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.png

8. ProSportsForums

A standard Google search isn't pulling all of the vB5 sites.

I know because mine doesn't appear in the search results.

9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Maybe they need more links pointing at them?

10. ProSportsForums

If I had to guess, I would venture there aren't 100 sites running live instances of vB5. Or even close. The only sites that could possibly run it live are sites that either just started or sites that were default vB4 sans the Suite. It's a safe bet that there are infinitely more vB5 test sites than live ones. If those are hidden behind .htaccess files they won't show in a google search. Not that I believe that most people know how to properly use .htaccess to hide a URL.

11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

God vB5 is so terrible... I keep thinking I'm gonna wake up one day and how bad it is was a dream.

I honestly think I could have created something 10x better in 3 month by myself... It took them years to make this with ~40 devs? Lol... They should all be fired IMO, and hopefully never try to code again in their lives.

12. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Where do I pre-order? :thumbsup:

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    xenforo.com

14. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Sale starts Monday

Brandon likes this.
  15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I wonder how long before vbulletin.com gets an update..
    Surely they're getting enough feedback now, right?

16. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

Man I just logged into .com for the first time they switched and my god it is slow!

I also HATE the fact that to turn to the next page I have to go to the top of the page to click to go to the next page. Who's the genius that came up with that one?

Upgrading to new software should give you more and be better, not be slower with less features. What are they thinking?