vBulletin.com is running vBulletin 5 [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I don't think that vB5 is old code base (except the acp ) but it's still a HORRIBLE code base...

I know many will disagree, but it's IMO the incompetence of the involved people there....

They(*) must be partying day and night because of vB5...

(*) IPB=> InternetBrands didn't just destroy vB, they also destroyed xf so IPB doesn't have any serious competitors ATM:D

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It's old. Just moved some of it around and added some new to it. Until they start a complete rewrite this what you'll continue to see and it will get worse with every release.

Have you ever thought why it's taking so long to upgrade vb4 to work correctly with php 5.4?

It's because of the old 3.0 code that is still there that they are building on.

I think the reason why IB doesn't want to do a complete rewrite is because they don't think the devs can do it. I'd have doubts about it too. I have no faith in the devs at IB. To me they seem like a bunch of code hackers and couldn't create new if they had to.

When Scott and Mike left IB was left without any true coders.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    of the 5 post I've submitted, 2 came back blank and broke.

I'm to busy to keep trying to post on their forums, I'll give it a shot again after the weekend.

Real good work Internet Brands..

vbulletin-sucks.png

vbulletin-really-sucks.png

5. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

You're still alpha/beta tester, aren't you?

Didn't anybody test anything?

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

That's a lot of damn queries. I'm so glad I never upgraded. I couldn't deal with all these errors and performance issues. That's way too many queries for one page. They need to fix that or find a better developer that knows how to code without using so many damn queries. It's bad enough that the main site has posting errors. These things should have been fixed with their testers. Going gold means one thing, now they have a lot of work to do and improvements to be made. I still feel that it wasn't ready for Gold since it lacks some of the major features that vBulletin 4 has.

Now, they'll have a bunch of headaches which could have been prevented.

Brandon likes this.
  7. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Well, am I the only one now worried about the official site's security? I mean, forget the queries, that's managable on IB's servers. And the support is only going to be as difficult as before.

But there's apparently a zero day exploit found in the software, so they'd better have fixed it before some scumbag hacker rips apart the official site and gains access to the client area. Not running vB 5 would have avoided this while the problem was fixed...

Brandon likes this.
  8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Yes I am although I haven't been active on those forums for some time now.
    I was getting tired of spending 2 hours installing a fresh vb5 or trying to upgrade the version I had been running so I just stop trying.
    I also don't like jira, so that's an issue as well.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It hasn't been fixed yet either. I'm not even sure they know about it. I first seen it pop up on a community I watch that seems to always be first with forum exploits yesterday evening. I am surprised someone hasn't used it yet. No specials tools needed.

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

This is a real tough question ATM. vb4 is dead. Plain and simple. It will get a tiny amount of updates, as they still have some laying around and they need to update it to php5.4 to avoid all vbulletin sites breaking.

But soon enough other incompatibilities will come around the corner. Its still using YUI2, while YUI3 is coming to an end. Google will likely update their algorithm with a push towards html5, schema.org, more sitespeed, etc. Who knows what mysql brings.

Unfortunately the same issue is present for XenForo until it wakes up from the coma its in.

I think the only sane advise is to wait until something new happens or go to IPS.

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Well JIRA has just become more user friendly than vbulletin. So stop complaining :p

12. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    haha.. very true

13. ENF

ENF Regular Member

I think that's what most of us are doing, waiting. I have a vb3 site that I could move to XF, but I just want to see some forward motion from them [XF] before doing so. There's nothing critical pushing us to move to another platform, but the refresh would be good for business.

As far as vB goes, I think there was a lot of hope that vB4 was a one-time event. That hope was eventually trampled on when vB5 was revealed. I could never had believed that it could have gotten worse. "It will get better, some say." Pardon me, but I cannot see that happening.

Brandon likes this.
  14. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

I think that hope was not realistic. The events with vb4 were not limited to a crappy release, but also included the invalidation of the VP's list of promised features & going silent for many months while customers struggle with thousands of bugs.

But vb4 was not the only event. Especially the advertising of the mobile suit indicated that IB still seemed perfectly OK with advertising and selling malfunctioning software. The $199 support product made the sale of support products as important as selling software products.

ragtek and Brandon like this.
  15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It's so painful to use vbulletin.com :banghead:

Miner, ProSportsForums and ragtek like this.
  16. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

i've found the perfect image for their office
    res.jpg

Miner, Iconic, CM30 and 2 others like this.
  17. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

In fairness, vBulletin.com is running a stripped version of vB5.x
    Most of the problems encountered on their site are not problems I am encountering on my own vB5 installation.

18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    What could be causing the issues on vb.com?
    The number of threads and post, I sure wouldn't think it would be the load of 20 users online at once.

19. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

I have to cosign... The load times are just horrific :(
    Hopefully they are working on that.

20. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

It's probably because they're on their backup servers while they create new primaries. Their RAID array is probably not a mirror. Their backup drives are probably smaller, slower, possibly older technology. It's like going from a black box i7 intel processor to a PIII x686 processor.