vBulletin 5 ready to go gold?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Dec 22, 2012.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

That's not a poll question either, it's what Internet Brands actually believes. Yep, I read that they've sent out e-mails to license holders asking them to vote in a survey about whether vB 5 is ready to go gold. How the heck do they think the software is ready in its current form when it's so clearly not?

2. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

Is this a joke?

Brandon likes this.
  3. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Ready to go gold? What does that mean?

It sounds like a attempt to get more sales, maybe to help pay for the lawsuit against Xenforo.

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Nope. They're apparently sending around a survey asking whether people think it's ready to go gold.

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Thats too funny. Managers asking customers if they think the developers have fixed enough bugs to sell the product. How about they install it on their own websites? Then they will quickly find out how 'Gold' it is.

I see 1500 bugs in their bug tracker. And thats without releasing it in the wild. I would not be surprised if that number doubles or triples if its installed on a large number of live websites.

Miner and Brandon like this.
  6. Miner

Miner Forum Theme designer

It will be ready to go gold maybe in another one year! ;)

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I didn't see any emails?
    Do you have a link?

I hope they don't think it's ready for gold yet, even though they have Mark B. with his good looking demo site.

8. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

As a vBulletin5 license holder I received no such e-mail. I read a lot of things. It doesn't make them factual. I'd also like a link or a source for the supposed e-mail sent by Internet Brands regarding what is currently Beta 22 as being "Gold" or even a viable Release Candidate.

Brandon likes this.
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

It's not going to be ready to go Gold when it *is* Gold (based on IB's own statements). No infraction/warning system, no paid subscriptions and (I think) no User Notes until a version far after 5.0.0 "gold". Lol

I can't even imagine the support nightmare for them when sites upgrade and then after the fact realize they can't generate income anymore or manage misbehaving users.

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

They probably can imagine it. I'd not be surprised if thats why they now charge 200 a year for support. Who needs software licence sales when you can just sell support licenses for webmasters in trouble? Especially when tens of thousands of webmasters realize they cant generate income or manage misbehaving members. Do the math...

11. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Caveat emptor. Every version of software comes with its own idiosyncrasies. Anyone who takes the time to read knows exactly what they are getting with the Beta version of vBulletin5. No one should be in a hurry to upgrade a production site to vBulletin5. If the development of vBulletin4 was any indicator it will be production ready in a year or two, about the time IB will declare End Of Life for vBulletin 4.x.