vBulletin 5 or IPB?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by TSUFanatic, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

I'm debating about picking IPB, but vB5 just came out. Which one should I go with it?

2. ENF

ENF Regular Member

At this point and juncture, I couldn't recommend vB5 on any level. I was personally waiting to see what vB5 would bring, but I just don't think they can shore it up enough to be really usable as they had demonstrated in the past. If I'm wrong, then great. But, from what I've seen just based on the structure of what's visible, I'd never pay for that. I don't even want to pay so I can see the raw code, I don't even want to support it, period.

Today, I went ahead and bought 1 IPB license for the core product & CMS (IP Content). I've supported IPB before, but never ran a site with it. They have a wonderful coupon code "DISCONNECT" available to use right now. (Saved me $33.75, paying a total of $181.69)

I'd even say go with vB4 over vB5, but IPB is a very viable option and that's what I'm electing to use.

2 people like this.
  3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It's funny really, because as bad as the vB5 Demo looked and got bad press yesterday from most. People will still buy it, especially those using vBulletin 4. Because people in general like New Toys to play around with, that's how forum owners are. Plus vB5 means support for vB4 is going to start ending and vB5 can only improve over time. vB5 is the main product in the vBulletin pipeline now, so only a matter of time before people switch over.

4. David

David Regular Member

I assume you haven't looked at that mess called vB5 yet.

5. ENF

ENF Regular Member

Yes, good lord, make sure you actually looked at vB5's demo before you pay anything.

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

Still can't post links, lame. (add periods, sorry.)

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Do like the new vB5 style, bit sparse in certain sections but overall it's good.

7. ENF

ENF Regular Member

Everything just runs together, it's hard to pick out what the real content is in some cases. It just feels like they went backwards instead of forward.

2 people like this.
  8. lord_stone

lord_stone Regular Member

First Name:
    Karl
    Forget vBulletin. They are destroying their company with the new policies and fees. It's only a question of time when they are out of money.

9. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

I currently went back to IPB from vb 3.8. I have been really pleased with IPB 3.3.4. Their customer service is really great and always has been.

I don't plan on buying anything else from vb.

2 people like this.
  10. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

I'm going to stick with vBulletin 4x for now, don't feel like dishing out $200 for IPB when I have the same / if not better features for vBulletin and I'm more comfortable in using vBulletin as well.