vBulletin 5 Connect is Now Available

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

No, no it isn't. And neither is vbulletin.org/

Both went down faster than a $1000 hooker this morning.

Neither has come up for air.

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So they're both down?
    I haven't looked much this weekend.

3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    First thing I have to wonder is what kind of hardware are they on that causes loss of data? I've had drives fail before. I take the bad out, put in the new and let the controller rebuild the data. No downtime, no data loss. I guess they never heard of raid or redundancy. To me it sounds like vbulletin runs on one server, 1 drive with a second server for replication and that's about it.

Then again as DigitalDoc said in another thread vbulletin 5 probably queried the drive to death.

6. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

It certainly is on par with everything else that they have done, isn't it? I say it is karma. And more crap will happen too?

Scott

Brandon likes this.
  7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So.. I was trying to make a post asking how to see all "my post" and found several errors
    Tags don't work
    attachments don't work

nothing seems to work really.
    also the title added a question mark in the url.. I'm pretty sure that's not right either :facepalm:

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It's going to be the same old thing except I think it will be much worse this time.
    Fix 1 bug introduce 3 more.

They are at the point where they have to rewrite the whole mess. They add new code to old with vbulletin 4 now they're adding more new code on top it all.

9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't see how the SEO can be good, there are several versions of the same thread and you can comment/like a comment if you have the right URL, but it won't show on the "normal" URL

ai.imgur.com_zmE7se6.png

for example

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/3945685-what-do-you-think-of-vb5-customer-poll#post3945685

and

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/3945289-what-do-you-think-of-vb5-customer-poll

and check out the Thread ID's.. this thread (removing the #post###) from the first URL, should be the same thread as above.. but it's not

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...945685-what-do-you-think-of-vb5-customer-poll

10. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

My problem is that what doesn't work is clearly documented. The people doing the most bitching about vB5 aren't using the product and have no intention of using the product. I could see if people had migrated live sites to vB5 and encountered these issues. But no one has done that unless they ignored the many warnings not to do that.

What you see on vBulletin.com is not what you get with vB5. They're having a lot of issues due to hardware problems and other circumstances that the average end user wouldn't have. The only way to know that is to actually be running the product. I am. I can tell from the commentary who isn't, which is most of the people commenting on how bad the product is.

I'm not going to B.S. anyone. I was hoping they would finish the product before release. They didn't. That's disappointing. But it isn't some kind of catastrophic failure. The sky isn't falling. It isn't something worthy of hysteria of Biblical proportions. It isn't a Greek tragedy. Nothing about the product is unrepairable. Hell, the product is actually serviceable if all one needs is a forum. Again, one would have to own the product and have a live installation of it to know so.

There are countless things to dislike about IB and about vBulletin without making things up, which is what is being done on their forums. It wears thin on customers of that specific product when we have to fight through customers who feel their purchase of another product years ago entitles them to an uninformed opinion on this specific product. That kind of nonsense takes the valuable, limited time of the vBulletin staff who are most often as apologetic and as helpful as they can possibly be. It isn't their fault IB rushed to release the product. Nor is it the fault of vB5 customers that vB4 customers are still looking for any excuse to bitch about why vB4.x was left on the back burner. I happen to own license for all three versions, 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x, and will never waste the time of 3.x or 4.x users by bitching about vBulletin 5.x in the threads for those products.

The bottom line is they should have waited on the release. Marketing can't spin the fact that no one can upgrade from 4.x to 5.x regardless of the feeble attempt at the support angle. There's nothing to support. From that standpoint it's like working with vB 2.x ... you have your forums and, well, that's all you have. It needs a lot of work, fast. There isn't any doubt this product isn't going to wow anyone as it is. I could have, and it still might, but only if they finish it quickly. If 5.1 doesn't have all of the features and functions of 4.2 they might as well close their doors or sell out to someone who better understands the end game of message board based internet forums.

That's all for now ...

11. s.molinari

Maybe the hardware problems are actually caused by the software as Shawn eludes to. :ROFL:

And isn't that just a great future to look forward to as a vB owner?

And it is all quite a trajedy. The issue isn't about some bugs and what is fixable. It is about finally wanting to be proud to be a vB owner again and IB has shown they actually have absolutely no interest in meeting this expectation. None! One would think, they actually don't care about their customers at all. The fact Lawrence states they have taken vB out of beta in order to be able to "support the customers" is a downright insult to their intelligence.

vB 5 Connect is now available?

For who?

Scott

Alfa1 and John like this.
  12. John

John Regular Member

Now that vB5 is "out of beta", it will be interesting to see if the 3rd party community embraces it. Places like completevb have become a spam fest so I'm not even sure they are a serious business any longer, not sure who the other big name vB design houses are, though. Wonder what the response has been like from the coding community at the Org...anyone have any knowledge of that?

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  14. sukagwe

sukagwe Regular Member

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Because?

16. s.molinari

17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Things can always get worse.

18. s.molinari

I know, but with vBulletin 5, it would be mighty hard to do.

Scott

19. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

People said the same about vb4. I thought that was a train wreck. Look where its at now. vbulletin still has underlying code written by Jelsoft. They might replace that outdated but stable part of the code in time with their own spaghetti.

Brandon likes this.