vBulletin 5 Connect Demo

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Jan 18, 2014.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    When creating an article under the main editor box there is a link that says: Tags +

Clicking on this link will open a tags pop-up from which you can enter tags. You must hit enter after each tag for it to register.

2. VICE

VICE Regular Member

I can't do that with an article that had already been published.
    I clicked --- Edit --- under the article and then I clicked the --- Tags + --- and nothing happened.

3. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    I cannot replicate this issue.

I created a new article, browsed away, went back, and was still able to add tags after clicking edit- http://vbulletin.admin-talk.com/articles/b/bb/125-joe-s-article-test

I will give it some time and try again later but if I still can't replicate the issue I would ask you to create a bug report in JIRA with your relevant info including the browser/OS you are using.

4. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Can you try adding some random tags into my article?

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    That was a good idea.

The bug appears to be you can't add tags if there are comments. Permanently delete the comments and the tag editor works again. Soft deleting is not enough.

JIRA added - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12027

AWS and VICE like this.
  6. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Joe, another bug:

Click any of the article tags:

77bc42d16e9e00fe13a7b672be58be1c.png

And you'll get cut off avatar and text:

0c0630b5dbacb8a271ba6a01a5e2aef4.png

Placement of the v ticked box also off in responsive mode:

4e5da3c7fa5c37dbd9dd89e3d7eaa62f.png

PS: Also, how to add the amount of tags above 5?

7. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Setting the amount of tags is a user group permission.

VICE and BirdOPrey5 like this.
  8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    The article search results (what you see when clicking on a tag) is already in JIRA and listed as being fixed in an as yet unreleased 5.1.0 version- http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12000. Will have to see what the responsive looks like after the fix.

VICE likes this.
  9. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Sorry about that post was not ready for posting at all i was almost sleeping when i wrote that post. I will try to write it more correctly.

First my bad i thought that vBAdvanced had a version that is/was compatible, on there download section its said vBulletin 3.6+ so i thought it included vBulletin 5. This is also the same with Subdreamer. But both are far better what vBulletin is offering in vBulletin 5. Compare vBAdvanced and Subdreamer with vBulletin 5 CMS then its not even an competition vBulletin 5 has far less to offer then does two.

Here i went wrong completely. You say that its the second best forum article system and i disagree, i said the following.

First of for clarity see above i forgot to mention that Subdreamer and vBadvanced are add-ons for vBulletin 3 and 4 they never made a release for vBulletin 5. See a above for what i have said in this post. The rest have add-ons that will add a forum into the CMS software. So vBulletin in my eyes is not the second best but the worst in that line, granted that the forums those system have is not in comparison of what Xenforo and IPB has to offer but between vBulletin 5 and all those CMS systems i would really consider it. vBulletin 5 has almost no development in add-ons and styles some one said below 50 add-ons and 30 styles on vBulletin.org. Where the rest have a good solid development of Styles/themes and add-ons.

I believe when vBulletin 5.1.0 is ready for download for all customers it will not be received with open arms at all. The article system is so minimalistic and does not have much options at all that its better not to use it

Also posting an article with the following title
    will give a browser error that there is a loop. This is a mistake that was also in vBulletin 4 CMS but was solved now its back.

10. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Playing with the tags, I just realized a fundamental weakness in vB5 article design.

In vB4, Categories (nonexistence in vB5) are not dependent on article. An admin will create appropriates categories and grouped articles into them.

In vB5, only tags exist and tags are created by article writers and not by an Admin. This will surely create chaos in grouping articles.

Example: an Admin grouped articles into vB4 categories based upon CMS: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal. He then proceed to group articles into these categories.

An article writer on the other hand only care about his article and will only write tags that are appropriate for the article. He can use tags such as WP, WP3, Dpl, Joomla3 etc., in the end of the day we will have countless synonymous tags under similar names. A good example to this situation is Stackoverflow.

This is why vB4 Categories is crucial and totally different from vB5 tags.
    In fact, vB4 is more complete as it has all three: Sections, Categories, Tags.

Tags are tool for search engine, it's not for grouping articles into taxons.
    It looks for keywords in article content.

Section group articles under one strict hierarchy.
    E.g.: Type of writings; fiction, non-fiction, poetry etc.

Categories group articles under one strict similarities.
    E.g.: Genre of writings: adventure, history, comedy etc.

11. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    This is a problem that is partly to blame on IIS. In xenforo and IPB there is an option to remove those characters when creating the url. I don't see that in vbulletin. When you use a character like б in the title IIS will go into an infinite loop. Setting double escaping in IIS will clean most of that up, however, turning on double escaping is a security risk.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  12. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

So you admit its also the worst article system out there to then.

13. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Looks like the demo is broke. I swear it wasn't me.:)

Edit: Looks like the CSS is shot. Hmm...I was playing with CSS this morning. Still, everything was working, when I stopped messing around.:cautious:

Scott

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Just be glad your on there.
    I still cant register :D
    Itching to get on it as well

15. s.molinari

Ok. I fixed the demo myself by rebuilding the styles.

Scott

AWS likes this.
  16. GTB

GTB Regular Member

How comes you don't join Mark.B demo board Scott. Thought you liked thrashing it out with Mark and he's running latest version.

17. s.molinari

Because Mark only allows front-end access, not ACP access.

Scott

18. Dillon Lawrence

Dillon Lawrence Regular Member

The official vbulletin.com demo allows ACP access. The demo here is kept relatively up to date in most cases though.

19. s.molinari

Yes, much more quicker and more up-to-date than vB.com's demo, which is a joke too.;)

Theoretically, if IB were smart, (which they have proven time and again, they are not), the vB Cloud should actually be their demo. Get people to sign in for the demo. Let them play for 14 or even 30 days and (if you had a decent software) get them hooked and liking the software and then just move them over to be a paying customer after the trial period, not even bothering the customer or the customer's site, without losing any of their changes, modification, customizations, etc. Too easy I guess. LOL!:D

Scott

thewhatami likes this.
  20. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Demo site is upgraded to 5.1.2

Seems storing css as files is broke again. If I set store css as files in admincp the site breaks. No css loads. Turn it off and all is good. This was a bug that was in 5.0 when it first was released and every few releases it comes back.

zappaDPJ likes this.