vBulletin 5 Connect Demo

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Merenguista

Merenguista Regular Member

First Name:
    Ilyas
    Thanks for the Tutorial .. It look's great ..

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    EZ Publish is very good just like Joomla and Drupal and Wordpress but EZ Publish is better in content and alter it by time and date. The paid version of EZ Publish is high think around 4000 to 5000 a year, but it comes with extra's you can import Adobe Indesign files and EZ Publish will extract the XML markup and make a copy in there own language and show that.

3. VICE

VICE Regular Member

The CMS is ugly as FCUK!

Zetsuboshita!
    vB5 ugly CMS has left me Zetsuboshita!

4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Not to beat a dead horse but I think this requires mention- what was released in 5.1.0 Beta was an Articles system. The CMS features of VB5 have been there since the beginning of the product. The addition of Articles wasn't suppose to cause major changes to the CMS capabilities- they are, as much as possible in a single product, separate things.

Just like it's not really useful to compare Wordpress's "forum" to vBulletin, it really isn't much use to compare VB's CMS capabilities to Wordpress. Why not compare to other forum software? How does the Article system stack up to what is available from XF and IPB- that should be the question.

5. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well as Xenforo does not have an CMS (written by Xenforo) it can only be compared by WBB and IPB. I know IPB better then WBB so i compare IPB.

vBulletin Article system well if it was sold separately by vBulletin and not included in the vBulletin 5.1 like it is now then i would recommend vBadvanced because you have more control and is free. As an article system its crap at the moment the articles like i said in a post above is one category only and the tag system is not ready to be used as a short of category system, IPB has the same flaw. You can't add extra fields in the system like IPB can so you need add-ons for extra functions, so you cant easily make a new field that gives ratings making it an review system. The CMS of IPB just has more functions then you would expect it has flaws granted but not as many as vBulletin.

If you compare IPB CMS with vBulletin CMS then its like IPB is a Ferrari and vBulletin is like an Deux Chevaux "the ugly duckling" its really no comparison except that they have some issues that are apparent in both software. But i looked at 3.4.6 version because IPB 4 is not ready, i would wait and see but i do not think IPB will make the CMS less but more where vBulletin went from more to less. That such simples toke 11 months to make its unbelievable its so basic that calling it an "Ugly Duckling" is insulting the duckling.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

Although to some extent it's semantics, I do agree, vBulletin has a CMS which is distinct from the Articles system but perhaps it shouldn't be. The problem is Site Builder, the jewel in vB5's crown, is lost on most people and that includes the people that own the software. I suspect it'll never reach it's full potential because it's clearly underdeveloped. That's not to say the potential isn't there, it just needs a lot more development and a far better sales pitch. It also needs to integrate with the Article system in my view.

I don't really think there's much value in trying to compare vB5's Article system with any other because XenForo doesn't have one and IP.Content's Article system is so far ahead of vB5 it's like comparing Photoshop to Microsoft Paint and then some.

vBulletin keeps making the same mistake over and over again. They keep releasing things that clearly are not finished and the Article system is no exception, it barely works. Even worse, the editor in which all your articles will be created barely works. There is also virtually no functionality within the Article system, it really doesn't do anything useful. Where are the template choices that allow me to lay out my stuff? Can I create my own templates? Where are my custom fields? What options do I have for pulling articles into my CMS front page? How do I add widgets to an article. I could ask loads of similar questions about it but I think I already know the answers. In short it mirrors every other facet of the software, it's half-baked.

jmurrayhead and AWS like this.
  7. oman

oman Regular Member

This ^

Big al likes this.
  8. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I agree.

With wordpress + wordpress forum you get MUCH MORE with less bugs for free
    Free blog
    Free Forum
    ~30 000 Addons on the official page http://wordpress.org/plugins/
    ~ 2200 styles on the official page http://wordpress.org/themes/

vB5:
    45! Addons http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=258
    17 Styles http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=260

You've started to beat the dead horse:P

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Big al likes this.
  9. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Youre right its not fair to compare Wordpress to vBulletin, thats insulting and degrading to Wordpress.

At what point will you publicaly acknowledge what everyone already knows and says, that vbulletin 5 is a complete failure. IB is approaching the one year anniversary or vBulletin 5 release and i've yet to come across any worthwhile site in the wild using it, and 46 released addons, haha seriously.

I dont blame you for milking the cash while you can though, but hopefully you're hip to whats about to happen.

Big al and jmurrayhead like this.
  10. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    If you think this is about cash or that I'm milking it I don't know what to tell you. If you were a VB5 beta tester you'd know my feelings on VB5 and all the suggestions I've made along the way.

None of that matters when you compare a forum to a CMS and complain it's not a good CMS.

The relevant fact was XF doesn't even have an articles system so at worst it's the 2nd best forum article system out there. :thumbsup:

11. Big al

Big al Regular Member

[QUOTEI dont blame you for milking the cash while you can though, but hopefully you're hip to whats about to happen.][/QUOTE]

I hope so too but it would be a first for the trio of fail.

12. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well its the best after Wordpress, PHPFox, WBB, Drupal, vBadvanced, Sub Dreamer, EZ Publish and Joomla. There forums maybe not that powerful like IPB or Xenforo but they can give vBulletin a run for there money.

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    vBadvanced is a forum? As far as I know it is an add-on only for VB3 and VB4. If we look at VB3 or VB4 Wordpress's forum add-on and whatever add-ons may be available for those CMS systems don't come close. No sane person can claim they do. If you're going to pull VB5 out then vBAdvanced isn't available for VB5 so why bring it up?

14. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well forgot to mention that vBAdvanced and Subdreamer are addons for vBulletin. Also why cant i claim does system are better with the CMS and possible better then vBulletin 5 forum, does it need to be paid to be good. But you are claiming the other way around by saying its the second best Article system but we know that the above are better then vBulletin.

15. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Going to chalk this one up to a language barrier issue. I don't think you can compare a VB4/3 Add-On to a VB5 standard feature. If and add-on was available for VB5 then it would be a valid comparison the way I see it.

16. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Can any of these be fixed in the official release?

http://vbulletin.admin-talk.com/forum/main-forum/122-vb5-suck-donkey-balls

17. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Well then sadly the only thing left to question is your intelligence.

You talk about comparing things, but why are you comparing vb cms/articles with imaginaryware of a XF cms/articles.

Just because you can release something doesnt mean you should. There needs to be quality, and i think thats why people want to compare what a real Cms/article system does compared to what vb cms does. The quality isnt there, and the quality of the forum isnt there. The support isnt there and neither are the developers for 3rd party addons.

From now on lets only compare vbulletin releases to other vbulletin releases. Vb4 cms vs the vb5 cms. Would that be a more fair comparison? Years old software written by rhe same company vs a improved version of the software.

18. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    #1 This behavior is easily changed by editing the Articles module in Site Builder... There is an option "Include Content from Sub-Categories?" which I went ahead and enabled. You will now see articles from VICE and other categories.

#2 is an opinion. Your opinion is you don't like it, which is fine and understandable. There has been a lot of back and forth on avatar use in the Articles system and I see 3 JIRA's marked as "Deployed to Staging" regarding article avatars which means they are due to be incorporated into the final 5.1.0 release but haven't been yet. One of them is an actual bug, the other two are improvement/feature requests- http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-11890 and http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-11891. If you want to have an official voice in the process you should comment or make a JIRA with your specific request. I personally have no problem with it.

#3 has already been answered and the answer is it is not broken, it is as designed- so no it will not be changed before (or after) 5.1.0's official release.

19. VICE

VICE Regular Member

OK.

There is no point in the avatar being there if it's so small, either you remove it or increase the size.

The design is inferior to vB4.

2 out of 3 issues remain.

20. VICE

VICE Regular Member

How to add tags into an article?