vBulletin 4.2.2 Alpha has been released

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by dandanch, Sep 7, 2013.

1. dandanch

dandanch Regular Member

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Now I can use one server for all my sites instead of having to put vBulletin on its own instance with PHP 5.3.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Why would you have to do that anyway? Any VPS with cpanel would allow you to change php version at will? Or any cpanel hosting really. Should not have to do that even without vbulletin update

5. BamaStangGuy

I run PHP 5.4 on my main server and don't want to go back in time for vBulletin.

6. BamaStangGuy

For example, Monday we are moving a 4.4 Million post forum to our server and now we can just move it straight to our main server instead of having to move to its own separate server, convert it to xenForo and then move it to our main server.

Downgrading PHP on our server for one site just doesn't make sense to me.

Dan Hutter, djbaxter and Brandon like this.
  7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

It nice to see the support for the latest php version. I'll wait until its out of alpha though because they could possibly change, edit or add other things.

Iconic and djbaxter like this.
  8. Cerberus

You should be able to assign a Cpanel account to each individual domain on your server, then just assign the version of PHP you want for each domain. That way you can have multiple sites with multiple versions of php and not have to worry about that. But, guess does not matter now

Dan Hutter likes this.
  9. BamaStangGuy

I have never seen the option to be able to do that?

10. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

It's under software services, PHP Config on the cPanel page if that's the one he's talking about.

11. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

I question the "things are now in motion" statement. If they were, then you wouldn't be hearing the answers you are hearing on vB.com about the other major open issues like the CKEditor-IE10 and PHP5.5 issues. You should be hearing, "you'll see those resolved in the next versions of vB4, which will be quickly released in procession to 4.2.2", which isn't being said at all. Instead, there is again bickering between staff and customers. The cause of it all is still lack of commitment and a real plan towards supporting vB4 customers. I guess this is all a result of Bob's fantastic "agile management"?:rolleyes:

Scott

VICE likes this.
  12. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

@s.molinari Thanks for the link Scott. I was getting a bit down looking at the list of new comedy shows coming online this season. Then I read some of his blogs and have confidence that Comedy Central has a new comedian who is facilitating and developing some funny material. Hang on to your hats folks this promises to be a fun ride.:evillaugh:

Everyone should have a word of the day. hmmmm Agile. Has a ring of movement.

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I say give that update another 6 months to be released. ;)

14. Cerberus

You are correct. It is pretty much there for every cpanel hosting I have ever had or seen. You can always choose the php version for your account on the server.

@BamaStangGuy
    http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/cpanel/php_version_change.htm <-- Here from a quick google since I are lazy LOL

15. VICE

VICE Regular Member

I laugh so hard, my stomach hurt.

16. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I commented but I doubt it'll be approved..lol

This was my comment for the record.

Big al and Autopilot like this.
  17. s.molinari

Yeah, out of the questions Bob asks in his usual flatulent prose (which abruptly stopped to my dismay April 2012. I always liked a good laugh) , he says "learnings" three friggin times. The real question Bob needs to ask himself is, is he actually learning anything, really? Because, in my book, acknowledging mistakes first, can only really lead to real learning and faster advancement and I have yet to see IB even come close to admitting to any major mistakes, anywhere, and their actions also show no such "learning" effect either. It is the core of the demise of vBulletin.

@Brandon - exactly. What is learned by IB from this experience? How much do you want to bet vB5 will be slacking in PHP compatibility in a year or two too?

Edit - I am not one for purposely making mistakes. Quite the contrary, mistakes should be avoided, if at all possible.

However, we will make mistakes and owning up to them and learning from them means opportunity. It means opportunity to grow and opportunity to show to your customers you do really care about wanting what is right for them. Once you admit to the mistake and correct it, the next step is taking steps to avoid making the same mistake a second time. It is a normal part of a smart life and of smart business. IB and Bob seem to think showing customers they did make a mistake is showing weakness. Whereas, I truly believe, owning up to mistakes is a very big sign of strength. It shows self-confidence to be able to come back from a mistake, which might have even caused you to step backwards one or two steps. And in most cases, if you owe up to such mistakes quickly and confidently, you'll end up a few steps ahead for it in the end. This one paradigm change needs to happen at IB, before vB (or any of their products or services) can become great.

Scott

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    Brandon and Autopilot like this.
  18. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

Did I read correctly that the reason the CKeditor is not fixed in 4.2.2 is because they don't have time to fix it... and they figure it will take at least 10 hours for their programmer to fix it?

10 hours?

What the hell have they been doing the past year?

10 hours?

Find some nerd and put him in a room with a few bottle of Jolt Cola and some chips and let him bang it out!

Dan Hutter, Brandon and Autopilot like this.
  19. Big al

Big al Regular Member

aimg826.imageshack.us_img826_3640_1bui.gif

Autopilot likes this.
  20. s.molinari

Yeah, and my point exactly. This should never have been said. The response should simply be, "the CKE changes are next in line and will be coming in an upcoming release, within the next month or two." The only problem is, I bet there is no "plan" for any next releases. The vB4 customers are being held out straws. It is total crap.

The other "issue" I can read out of that post is an enormous amount of QA time needed to test a minimal amount of coder time. That needs to change too. It is ridiculous and a waste for everyone (or QA is just a scapegoat for the slow process time). There is a reason for calling software a beta ya know.;) But IB also redefined that with vB5 too. Almost forgot.:rolleyes:

Scott

Autopilot likes this.