vb turn around

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by danrak, Aug 15, 2014.

1. danrak

danrak Addict

Do you think it is possible for vbulletin to turn things around and become as popular as they once were. It is almost like watching Ultimate Bulletin Board all over again. Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    No not when the managers and developers are in place that cant do their work.

3. Andy R

Andy R Lurker Administrator Admin Talk Staff

First Name:
    Andy
    I agree, I don't think it's possible. They can't find/hire decent talent to work on the software. Their reputation is ruined and I highly doubt they will be able to turn things around. That being said, they will spin, spin, spin their message and probably get lots of unknowing forum owners to upgrade.

pixelek and Autopilot like this.
  4. thewhatami

thewhatami Regular Member

First Name:
    Mike
    No.

5. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

No, for reasons Andy stated.

Autopilot likes this.
  6. petertdavis

petertdavis Old Timer

I think it's possible, but not probable. It would take IB selling vB, and a total restructuring of the company. I wish it would happen, but doubt it will.

Merenguista likes this.
  7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

If they act on the advice that many have given them and do a complete turn around there may be a chance.

Chances of this happening? Probably Zero.

Rather than admit they made mistake after mistake they MAY decide to carry on and put their trust in new software ( VB6)?
    We have seen an attempt to claw back things by the cloud system.

They did not learn with the VB5 debacle and so will probably repeat the same mistakes. While ever the organization is making money from other areas then they may get away with the losses from VB5

Unfortunately for them they have alienated many of their past customers, so they have made it hard for themselves to get back up into a top position. Many of their old and loyal customers have had enough of them and so will never return.

Once they forgot that they exist FOR their customers they were on the slippery slide to being also rans.

Autopilot likes this.
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    We had that discussion some time ago who would buy vBulletin the only thing that has value are the customers them self. The software vBulletin 3 is good but to dated to compete against the modern forum software. The same for vBulletin 4 it has been to long that it was updated with features and improvements that mattered. vBulletin 5 and cloud well its not complete and people are still complaining about it that its no good.

Lets say that Xenforo, WBB or IPB can buy the customers and let the software bleedout they cant support development of two forum scripts. The customers are not that interesting because you will lose money many will not adeped to your software or go to a compatitor. Because vBulletin has no renewal system but buy once use allways you cant generate income to get cash back.

vBulletin is a sinkhole for any company that wants to buy it you will always lose money and because the biggest support base and style and addon developers left you dont have free promotion by saying look here is what you can do with the software. Writing new software will take between 12 and 24 months that means lots of costs but almost no income in the mean time.

Andy R likes this.
  9. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

It would be Ironic if Xenforo did manage to buy Vbulletin.....almost like it is full circle.

10. Tech Admin

Tech Admin Administrator Admin Talk Staff

I agree with most of you, possible, but not probable.

11. Janet H

Janet H Administrator Admin Talk Staff

This may be the biggest reason that it's time leave vB behind. The creative talent is rapidly finding other platforms to focus on.

BamaStangGuy likes this.
  12. Merenguista

Merenguista Regular Member

First Name:
    Ilyas
    I totally agree with you ..

13. Merenguista

First Name:
    Ilyas
    Personally, I have a wish : XenForo.Ltd buys vBulletin Solutions.Inc .. IB really ruined vBulletin software :(

Rebel, Autopilot and Andy R like this.
  14. Rebel

Rebel Regular Member

First Name:
    Cal
    Not unless they get their acts together. The software they release today is mostly bloatware. I suspect forums could make a come back in the future so only time will tell though. I expect Xenforo will lead the pack if that does happen though.

15. geebee

geebee Honcho

It's not as far-fetched as you may think. I'd say there are a fair few vB licences floating around, if they were integrated into xenforo they would add their existing client base and move towards shifting them to xf with yearly fees. It'd take time but...

16. Merenguista

First Name:
    Ilyas
    Yes you are right, but what I meant is not that XenForo adds vbulletin customers to its own customers, no it is not my idea.

My idea is that Xenforo management is responsible for the production of vbulletin, in a way that we will have two good softwares : the current Xenforo, and the new vBulletin Foro :)

17. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

While the idea is sound on paper, in all practicality it is foolish. I rather see everyone move towards XenForo than Kier and Mike maintain two product lines.

Merenguista likes this.
  18. Merenguista

First Name:
    Ilyas
    I already have (bought) two vBulletin licenses. So i can't buy another two licenses (Xenforo licences) .. So the idea is that the vBulletin sofware be improved by another company, not we buy new licenses in order to move to Xenforo !!

19. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

This is mostly conjecture on my part but you have to wonder if there's really much equity left in vBulletin. What would a potential buyer be getting? Its reputation is shot to pieces, it doesn't appear to have very much income and it probably needs to be subsidised by the parent company just to cover its operating costs.

I'd take a guess that a buyer would need deep pockets to fund the purchase and even deeper pockets to keep it ticking over while financing the development of the next version. They would also need a very strong belief that they could turn things around.

I just can't see it happening. If vBulletin can't turn it around themselves I don't think there will be anything much left to sell.

20. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

I'm sorry that you didn't heed the warnings of the majority and that you bought two licenses. However, from my position, I rather have one superior and cutting edge product than two mediocre products.