Using signatures to Promote your forum?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Se7eN, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Se7eN

Se7eN Regular Member

A great way to promote your forum is to put links to your forum in your signatures on other forums. If you have an image to go with it, the ad will seem more pleasing? So, how many forums currently have a link to your forum in your signature? Do you use images? And how effective are these links?

I currently have no links to my forum, but I am currently working on a banner for my forum that would be used for advertsing. After that, I'd put it in my signatures for forums that I am active in and hope to gain some more activity.

2. PixelPirate

PixelPirate Regular Member

I rarely put ads in my signature, but when I do it is usually a text link. Sometimes, I use banners if it feels like it can be appropriately advertised on the site, but other than that...just links.

3. euantor

euantor Regular Member

Just check my signature for your answer ;)

I tend to use small banners usually like the one I use here that show my latest thread/blog post - that way people can see what kind of content we've got and may be more inclined to click the image.

4. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    I try and keep my signature regularly updated, but sometimes I can forget, and some places that I barely visit, still carry the extremely old signature from like 2009, lol

5. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

I try and update it but I sometimes cannot be arsed to update it, normally I would If I can be arsed to update my signature, but overall I have small banners in my signature.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I only use my signature to advertise on a forum if Its either a big and active forum, or if I am a regular member there.

Using your signature to promote has to be the most easiest method ever, why some dont take advantage of that is beyond me. It's great way to get back-links and traffic to your site. Thats how I get alot of Traffic from MyBB.com where I am an active member.

And yes I agree, people are most likely to click your signature if you have a nice looking banner there which will grab their attention. They probably wont join, but it will be enough to get them to click it and check out your forum. Free Traffic!

This is what I use in my singature:
    [​IMG]

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

This method always works the best - especially if you're active on other communities - sharing ideas & knowledge. I say this because if people find that you're interesting, they are going to click your links and see what you're about. I'm never going to stop using this method as its free exposure, and free traffic.

Some forums don't allow banners in signatures, so links are the best option.

8. moneyman

moneyman Regular Member

In my opinion signatures are a good way to catch people's attention and get visitors. Using signature link will also get your forum a quality backlink if it has been titled the right way. All in all, posting in forums just for sake of getting signature link and thus backlinks is quite boring and it needs a lot of self discipline and motivation.

9. nafretiti

nafretiti Regular Member

Recently I do not have a forum for myself where I use a banner or text link in the signature in order to gain traffic, however I've used that method before and it has gotten a lot of hits and responses from that. It also depends on how you present yourself on other forums, sometimes you can't just have a really big signature or a text link. Often you have to follow specific rules before you can even put a signature up or even a link in that area, best bet is to make something small but not too small and very presentable with neat text on it if anything or at least a nice display image of what your forum is. You could also ask the staff about something special in the signature area and work out a deal with them, I've been on a few sites where they do not allow you to have a signature of any sort unless you are a supporting member of that community and which I've done it that way before because it was good advertisement and I was very active on it.