Users who use religious usernames

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by cpvr, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

So, a user on my community decided to join up with the account "God", surely I don't see a problem with that because I believe in God, however once user said they found the username to be offensive, but why? All they said is because they're jewish, but I never seen anything else on the boards about it.

So, basically do you allow users to use religious usernames, or do you disallow it? If you don't allow it, what do you do in these type of situations?

2. BlazingBlue

BlazingBlue Regular Member

I've seen some under that alias as well. It's never a good thing. It's almost always to troll with and make offensive remarks to other members religions. But if their not doing anything bad with it I don't have any problem with it.

Big Dan likes this.
  3. Seahunter

Seahunter Regular Member

I suppose if you didn't specifically forbid it in your forum rules, then it would be OK. Unless that member is using the name to religiously harass other members, I would say let them keep it.

4. dojo

dojo Regular Member

If I don't like a username, I just PM the member and ask for a new nickname to be used. I don't think I'd be too OK with religious names, since this usually leads to problems in the community, such members can't refrain from getting their opinions voiced, even if we don't have a religion forum

5. BJTheCoder

BJTheCoder Regular Member

If the member is not making trouble with the name, then others shouldn't have a problem with the member using it.

6. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

I don't specifically have a problem with it, but if a user contacted me about it, then yes, I'd nudge the person to change their username. I can see how some people may not be okay with God being used as someone's name. For that same reason, I don't think I'd allow someone to go by the name Hitler, for example, either. People might take offense to it being used so casually and really, it's just not necessary to allow on any of mine, so eh.