UBB.threads

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Sunsettommy, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Hello,

I have come across this forum software that seems to be picking up steam.

I am looking at UBB.threads that changed ownership back in January and has been making many changes to their 7.5 level software.They are even working on the next major version 8.0 that is badly needed.

8.0 change log and screen details of that project.The log is detailed and I wonder if this will be good enough to compete with IP and vBULLETIN as a paid for software?

It seems that this group has started making up ground for being in a rut.

Does anyone know about this forum software?

2. MrThomas

MrThomas Addict

First Name:
    Tom
    I looked at the feature list on their site, didn't really include anything really impressive. There was a built in mood thing, which is cool, but can be modded both for IPB and vB.

Their site is a real turn off. It's just like a portal, and for me looks pretty amateur.

I guess it's cool to have an indefinite license and access to support forums, but $125 for a "professional install? If I was them, I'd feel guilty sleeping at night, knowing I robbed someone of $125 for 10 minutes work.

3. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Their 8.0 version is supposed to be better.Rick points out that they are restoring the full forum set up that was missing in their 7.0 software series,because of the dominant emphasis on the portal as the front end.Now there will more choices for the user to chose from.

I had interest in the software in the past but it was too expensive with the "holes" in the 7.0 version to live with.Such as NO plug ins at all.The 8.0 version will have that.

I agree that their "professional install" is absurdly expensive.Maybe they will reduce it for the 8.0 series?

4. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I started this thread being interested in UBB 8.0.I also stated a thread at another forum as well.

However Rick Baker after initially being available to answer questions has stopped doing that.His last post was 6/22/10.

I am not impressed by his inaction.I asked him questions almost a month ago, and he does not even visit the forum to see if anything has been going on.Last visit was 10/02/10.

Since he appears to be indifferent,he has lost my interest.Meanwhile I am settling into the myBB software and liking it more and more.I hope to be able to find a good USER BLOG mod to install.That would make me forget UBB 8.0 version completely.

I have noticed that after initial good interest in the UBB version 8.0.People are quickly forgetting it.I have seen unflattering comments posted in a few places.Indicating that Rick Baker has some work to do to generate NEW excitement of his still unreleased 8.0 version.

I think he is making a big mistake being so quiet about his new project.

5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I ran ubb.threads when it was wwwthreads before Infopop bought it. I watched it transform from a perl/mysql product to a php/mysql product. It was the first mysql forum software. It predates vbulletin and was started about the same time as the original UBB only it was a threaded discussion until version 3.

During the time I watched a promising product just die 2 or 3 times. Rick is one of the best coders I know. No forum coder can' hold a candle to him. Rick also takes extended leaves for no apparent reason. Then he'll come back with a vengeance and wow you with his innovations.

Don't give up on it yet. I would say that in the next couple months he'll reappear with v8 completed. It happened when wwwthreads went from v3 to v4. It happened when he ported the perl version to php. It happened shortly after he sold to Infopop. Each time something new came out shortly after his return.

6. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

UBB.threads has been sold... again.

Rick Baker will stay around as a developer.

They have decided to release version 7.6 instead of version 8.0

Version 8.0 will eventually be finished.

New Owner