Twitter Advertising?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by orc_dragoon, Jun 5, 2009.

1. orc_dragoon

orc_dragoon Newcomer

First Name:
    Joshua
    I see a lot of people using twitter to advertise? have you ever done this? Does it work?

I post my link every now and then on twitter, but it really never seems to work.

2. Havok

Havok Regular Member

To tell you the truth. I really don't see the point in using Twitter. It might give you a little more traffic, but it's not worth it.

3. orc_dragoon

orc_dragoon Newcomer

First Name:
    Joshua
    Well, there still people that say it can be very sucessful, but theres also a big group of people that say its a waste of time.

is there anything that relects your opinion on twitter?

4. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I think it's a good thing if you're just starting out in my opinion. I've only been using twitter just over a week and have receive 2-3 new members. The site is starting to see a steady increase in traffic through out the day as well. And I can usually get 10-35 visitors every time I link my site to a single tweet. Right now I'm experimenting with the release of my tweets to try and maximize my traffic/exposure. Yesterday I got a record in visitors trying this out. It's not by any means a solve all, but every little helps.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I try to post interesting tidbits and encourage people to visit my forum for more details. Not always easy coming up with interesting things to say, though :)

6. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray

Yes, twitter is almost endless with information.

7. Cinder

Cinder Newcomer

Well, it's one way to get attention, and as you get followers, you can get a ton of views, so I don't see the harm, especially since Twitter's free ^_^

Of course, I don't care much for Twitter, but it could serve as a helpful tool in the future, so I went ahead and got a page for my site just now...

8. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    It does very little if you have very little people that read it, however if you have some larger communities that read it you tend to get more advertising. the majority of twitter advertising comes from others seeing your post and then they pass it along.

The reason I use twitter and why most use it is to keep in touch with friends and family worldwide as well as giving others an opportunity to keep up with what your doing in life and what not.

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I guess Twitter can work, especially for a contest like AdminAddict.

If you Tweet that thread, your bound to get some hits, visitors and possible members.

Personally, I only use Twitter for personal aspects. Otherwise, I advertise.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's not worth what? Just set up a RSS feed from your forum to be automatically posted to Twitter and you're good to go. You don't even have to log in or visit your Twitter page other than finding some new people to follow and getting others to follow you.

11. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I do just that Nick. I use twitterfeed.com and it routes my rss feed through my ping.fm, twitter and facebook accounts. Works great for me!

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I use it too. Although, I manually update Twitter with personal tweets - a combination of both. To be honest, I usually unfollow accounts that are pure RSS feeds... especially when more than two of the latest feed items are imported at a time.

2 people like this.
  13. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I wouldn't want to stick my rss feed in there, I'm not sure what the motivation would be to actually come check my forum regularly if they could see what was going on elsewhere.

14. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

You're sticking your forum's RSS feed in there. You can restrict it specific forums if you are using vBulletin as well. For instance, I don't include the RSS for my general chat areas in Twitterfeed.

For my site, Twitter is the only active promotion I have used for it. Site is new and not as happening as this place but I am also working on the content as well. So far it has attracted more advanced vBulletin users than those looking to solve problems but it is growing and getting there. For content, I plan on trawling the request forums at vBulletin.org and vBulletin.com to come up with 10 articles today and tomorrow.

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Since doing this would require me to list ALL of the forums I want to include and none that I don't, I haven't done this. It's too much of a hassle to maintain a RSS URL with all of my main-content forum IDs at the end.

I wish vBulletin would allow us to exclude forum IDs rather than only use the method of inclusion.

16. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Well really it should be an option in the forum manager but I digress.

ooh wait.. this can be done with a hook and a custom bitfield. Looks like an article to go on the todo list.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The main problem is that I would forget to go and update the URL whenever I add a new forum or sub-forum.

18. Victor

Victor Regular Member

yea twitter does work

19. tech

tech Regular Member

i have twitter for my website and ive just follwed people who have interesting stuff such as Robert Bowling who posts all the updates for Modern Warfare 2..

20. Green Cat

Green Cat Adept

I did not much use twitter for my current forum's advertisement as most of my followers are english speakers, so I would not really benefit from it. But I am planing to use twitter for the site I am working on now.

EDIT: Twitter for my upcoming website created: https://twitter.com/TheSiteOfTheDay