Trying To Help Others Is Commendable, But Be Realistic

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by MainerMikeBrown, Aug 18, 2013.

1. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Regular Member

Many people enjoy improving the lives of others via volunteer work. And some of those who like to help others do so by performing volunteer work in which they help those with mental health issues.

Anyone who performs volunteer work in the mental health field has my respect. However, while it's great to help others overcome their issues with depression, bi-polar disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc., I must stress to them that they must be realistic when trying to help.

What I mean is that some people who try to help others with mental health issues don't have realistic goals. Instead, they think they're going to go out and try to save the world. Then they work in the mental health field for a while and reality slaps them in the face. They learn the hard way that they have to be more realistic.

For example, a volunteer may work with someone who is making progress against their mental illness, and may get too excited about it. Then the person they're trying to help suddenly has a major setback. They must realize that recovery from mental illness isn't smooth.

Another example are volunteers who think they can help everyone. Then they find out the hard way that some people can't be helped.

So for those who want to help those with mental illness, be optimistic, because you can make a difference. However, you must also be realistic. If you, as a volunteer, aren't being realistic, you are more likely to get burned out trying to achieve goals that aren't realistic.