Too Many Smilies warning

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by possum37, Feb 6, 2001.

1. possum37

possum37 Regular Member

*sigh*

Sometimes, after a really long post, you might not remember how many smilies you've put into it, so the forum reminds you, after you hit "submit topic", that you've exceeded the maximum number.

If you hit back after that, your typing disappears.

That really stinks after you wrote a really long post.

As a suggestion, is it possible to warn you that you've exceeded the max number, then just change every extra smiley face into regular ascii text instead of erasing your post & making you have to re-type it all over again?

------------------
    My knob tastes funny.

2. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

it doesn't disappear on me... back works fine.

------------------
    "Maybe *this* is what 'cooties', the disease that every grade schooler is terrified of, yet knows not the symptoms of which, is!" - KNSinatra at 3:34 AM

3. Alien

Alien Regular Member

It seems to be a browser related local thing... IE4 was a little better with it.. IE 5 was okay, IE 5.5 seems to remove it a little more often...

Hmm, I'll consider some sort of notice though.. Don't think i can do it at the post confirmation level though, probably just a warning from within where you post.

------------------
    "I'd like an order of fries, a quarter pounder with cheese, I love the light in your eyes, would you go out with me please? I am in love with a McDonald's Girl, she has a smile of innocence so tender and warm, she is an angel in a polyester uniform."

4. possum37

possum37 Regular Member

I've just gotta remember to disable the smilies I suppose. Aarghh, that was a pain to have that happen! .

BTW, for the record, I was using IE 5.5, so there you go. Stoopid IE...

------------------
    My knob tastes funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  5. monsieurjohn

i have ie 5.0

could you store the message text to a cgi variable and then have a link on the error page to a page with the old message pre-written in?

grammar bad, idea good methinks. 'course, i know less than nothing about cgi.

------------------
    "Maybe *this* is what 'cooties', the disease that every grade schooler is terrified of, yet knows not the symptoms of which, is!" - KNSinatra at 3:34 AM

6. Alien

Alien Regular Member

That's getting fancy which unfortunately is beyond my abilities. .

I haven't seen this sort of thing mentioned at all around the ubb community. Guess we'll have to live with it for now.

------------------
    "I'd like an order of fries, a quarter pounder with cheese, I love the light in your eyes, would you go out with me please? I am in love with a McDonald's Girl, she has a smile of innocence so tender and warm, she is an angel in a polyester uniform."

7. monsieurjohn

dang.. oh well, you should mention it to someone who's in charge

...y--you mean there's something Alien can't do?? .

------------------