To all vB to IPB switchers ... core features to you miss from vbulletin?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by Adam Green, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Brooker

Brooker Addict

Great thread! I was just about to post something similar :D

Same here. I tried my best to push the devs on the vBCMS, and I'm pretty sure it would be no where near as functional as it is now if I hadn't - but it still doesn't deliver, too many queries and you can't create your own custom fields yet.

Hope IP.C is easier to use and more flexible - along with not being a resource hog!

2 people like this.
  2. Adam Green

Adam Green Addict

The missing custom fields of the vb cms. That is it. They wanted to much and now they are doing nothing else than bug fixing.

IP.Content must be integrated with the forum to work properly. Do not move the best forum posts in the vb cms, instead put them into the right sub-category of IP.Content. IPS must deliver us bridges for IP.Content and IP.Board to make its software product really shining.

3. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

Brandon and Rikki on IP.Content to make it a little quicker to get started with.

Also, we have inline topic title editing :) On forum view, mouse over a topic cell and icons appear to the right of the title. One looks like an input field. Click it and you can edit inline.

4. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

Brandon and Rikki are working on IP.Content to make it a little quicker to get started with.

Also, we have inline topic title editing :) On forum view, mouse over a topic cell and icons appear to the right of the title. One looks like an input field. Click it and you can edit inline.

2 people like this.
  5. The Geek

The Geek Novice

First Name:
    Mr. Geek
    DoH! I lose!

6. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

The only big thing - and I know I may get laughed at for this - is Groups and Group Discussions.
    For my last community running on vBulletin this has turned out to be an extremely popular feature and it's used a lot.

There may be one or two other things, but I can't remember them. And yes, I gree it's nice to see a company listening to its customers' wishes.
    I have the biggest respect for Matt.

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

In all honesty, I don't miss a thing. ;)

Perhaps if I had to choose one feature, it would be vBulletin's reputation system. As much as I admire IP.Board's due to its simplicity and ease of use, I have always liked knowing who delegates reputation points to me.

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

The main things I miss in IPB is a more functional reputation system, with comments and I miss social groups.

The vbulletin reputation system is a major factor of my site. Almost every post is rated and I show reputation comments in posts. Promotions depend upon the reputation system. There is no way I could migrate without it.

Social Groups are highly used as well.

I am keeping a very close eye on IPB as I really like the development speed, the number of useful official addons and their helpful attitude to customers. I would probably have migrated to IPB if the above two road blocks where not there.

9. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

how do you show them? wonna share it pls?*g*

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

I use this: Show reputation comments in posts
    Further I had a modification coded that allows moderation of reputation comments and one to give members the function to report ratings. This works like a charm and greatly affects post quality.

11. BlaqHQ

BlaqHQ Newcomer

I have both IPB and VB in my opinion vbulletin is better and less expensive

IPB community board is nothing more than the forum which cost 149.00

Then you have to purchase the gallery which cost 64.00 I forgot how much the blog cost, any and everything else cost money as well and any mods, hacks themes cost just about half, more than half or the same as the core so how is that beneficial?

Vbulleting has so much more to offer and you get many free themes , hacks and templates

So I just thought that I would throw that in

VB rules

2 people like this.
  12. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

I'm not sure, but I think the Invision CMS, blogs and the forum put together cost a lot less than the vBulletin Suite which is priced at $285.
    Plus with vBulletin you can't know how long your purchase will be good for as you pay per version, not per year (for renewals, etc). Now for some that is a good thing, for others it is not. But it's certainly a good thing for the people who are producing vBulletin now lol.

13. Adam Green

Adam Green Addict

These products from IPB cost together slightly less than the vbulletin publishing suite
    Code:
    [B]Your order[/B]
    IP.Board (Standard)
    $149.99
    IP.Blog
    $49.99
    IP.Gallery
    $64.99
    IP.Content
    $49.99
    15% Bundle Discount
    -$47.24
    Total
    $267.72

14. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

Why are you counting the gallery? vBulletin has nothing remotely like a gallery.

15. Adam Green

Adam Green Addict

My users at least should be able to upload pictures as picture albums. As much as I know that is in IPB only possible with the Gallery product. To be fair, the package IPS provides us now has far less features than the one of vbulletin - they are going to add lots of new stuff in 3.1.

As a sidenote: vbulletin is at least 100$ more cheaper than the IPS package once you want to have a branding license fee.

16. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

I think it's not that they have less features - it's just that their features are different and they seem to be focusing on different things than vBulletin.
    And I'm not saying this as a fan of IPB or anything. I prefer vBulletin (3.8) for most of my projects. But I believe that IPB is at least as good as vB. Certainly better if you look at vB4 vs. IPB3. Because all the right features don't mean anything with the amount of bugs in vB4.

17. Gordie

Gordie Adept

To me, the upfront costs between vB and IPB are somewhat inline with one another.

But IPB will work out cheaper in the long run as IPB have reasonable renewal fees similar to how vBulletin used to be, before they decided to change to their new lifetime version license.

18. MrThomas

MrThomas Addict

First Name:
    Tom
    Does IPB have a permission like can only view own threads?

19. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I believe so, at least that is what I was told. I need to dig into the admincp to know for sure.

As far as the 'core' features missing from vb, I'd say the thread marking system is the one I'm going to miss the most. If a 1,000 post thread is clicked on, and only the first 100 posts are read, it marks the entire thread as read. In vb it keeps track of that post that was displayed to the user so post 101 would be displayed, but in IPB post 1001 is displayed.

But that is only if the thread marking system in vb is set to 'database marking', so I'm sure not everyone would care.

The new thread preview on IP 3.1.0 beta on their site seems really nice to me. That was the other thing that I would have missed, but will come in 3.1.0.

20. Flashgear

Flashgear Newcomer

Won't be switching, i'm sticking with 3.8