Thoughts on vBulletin?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Matthew, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

If you haven't noticed, this forum (Admingang) runs on vBulletin.

I think it's a pretty good software, compared to others. PHPBB is too complicated to use, but of course you have to mind the price. vBulletin costs a pretty decent amount of money.

Personally, I don't have too much experience running a vBulletin forum, but I might soon and I'm feeling that this service might be the one I will choose.

Let me know what you think! 8)

Brandon likes this.
  2. Gufran

Gufran Regular Member

vBulletin IMHO is a thing like nothing else. It is powerful, stable, feature rich and a gigantic beast easy to manage and nothing to moderate. There is a heap of great mods and tweaks available for vBulletin which help you to make your work a breeze. vBulletin 4.1.5 has been launched recently, I havn't tested it yet, we'll upgrade the forum once there are a few reviews for the stability of vB 4.1.5.

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

vBulletin 4 is pretty nice. I like the CMS system, and the various plugins that I use on my boards. We did use SMF for a while there, but my members really love vBulletin as much as I do.

Iconic likes this.
  4. Seahunter

Seahunter Regular Member

vbulletin is a professional forum script that's easy to admin and is very stable. I've yet to have any major issues with it. It costs, that is the downside. Some of the open source scripts are very nice but none of them, in my opinion, is as good as vbulletin.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I really liked the vBulletin 3.x series and used it for years. I didn't care for the 4.x series when it first came out but I think I can say from 4.0.8 and up, it's gotten much better.
    I upgraded a client to 4.1.10 a few weeks ago and they were very happy with it.

I hope they really put some effort into the CMS, it's lacking BIG time.

6. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It has gotten better, but, it is still stuck in the last decade. The admincp hasn't changed one bit from the original release way back in 2001. The only thing that has changed about it is the left frame, now those are from the 90's and even then people frowned on others that used them, has gotten longer to scroll.

It needs a complete rewrite. It never really had one. vbulletin 3 was supposed to be a complete rewrite, but, it wasn't although they'll tell you it was. There is still plenty of 1.x, 2.x and 3.x code in 4.x. In comparison IPB has been rewritten 2 times in the same amount of time.

Reason for this is because the dev team is dedicated to what they do. vbulletin has never had a dedicated team with the same focus. Why do you think it took almost 3 years for vbulletin 3 to be released? The dev team had no direction. John and James only wanted to get the profit margin up so they could unload it for the highest price possible and didn't care what the devs did or how bloated the product became.

Anyone that knows what good clean semantic code look like knows vbulletin is a mess and that won't change until they throw out the old and create the new.

Brandon likes this.
  7. dojo

dojo Regular Member

It's a decent script and I have used it for 6 years already. There are things I don't like, the support is horrible, so, as long as you don't need them, you're cool. I am getting more close to XenForo right now, so I'll probably keep my current VB installs and purchase XF only for new communities.