Thoughts on vBulletin 4

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Nick, Oct 23, 2009.

1. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There's also definitely a permissions error. Go here: vBulletin Community Forum

Then try to view any of the parent forums (using the breadcrumbs).

I got that link from "New Posts".

3. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
  4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
  5. tech

tech Regular Member

Pretty cool, the default skin isnt that appealing but from reading the vB4 Style Blog it seems very easy to customize it.

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Because in the present form, vb.com is not usable for me.

I just tried again and lasted 5 minutes.

I used to read that forum to learn things. I have a 1440 x ___ wide screen monitor, I suppose I could change the resolution and contrast when viewing vb.com then all the other sites that I visit including my forum would look weird.

Please change to a larger/thicker font with more contrast! The font in the vb.com reply box would be perfect!

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

8. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

orly?

:thumbup: I think the yo-yo smiley is needed.

(had to poke you man)

9. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Might as well make my views known. On reflection it's a bit silly to never go in the support forum, what if I need support? Or I need to look something up?

They might as well know what I think of it.

i think my posts prove I've hardly done a yo-yo, I don't like vb4 and I've said so over there.

I still maintain though that making the odd positive comment doesn't mean I yo-yo. If they get something right, then I'll happily say so. I won't be negative just for the sake of it.

10. cylon08

cylon08 Newcomer

First Name:
    Simon
    I think the default skin is hideous and the forum have become much harder to navigate around.

11. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

To be fair mark, My remarks are for viewing purposes. For the popcorn vbulletin chompers. You have made scores of valid points, Your not happy I can relate to that and so are Billions of other. Billions? That might be a huge exaggeration but billion people unhappy with vbulletin solution the one that shouts loudest will have even the valid of concerns dismissed as trolling etc.

I almost feel I'm kissing ass. I don't know where you start and I finish. Help me mark, it's not a pretty sight from where I'm kneeling. :D

At this point you can either cry or laugh. I choose the latter.

12. p4guru

p4guru Addict

Overall i'd say I like it more as i use it (since vBulletin.com changed to it). The default style does need work, but i am no expert on web design but the new frame work I see and from blogs and info provided on their forums, I see the potential is there for lots of creativity style wise.

I have concerns due to my very limited knowledge of CSS as to how I'll customise my forum layout to my liking. Limited experience with wordpress and CSS nightmare had me pulling my hair out for hours figuring out why such a CSS change resulted in my site displaying wierdly in IE7 and firefox 2 but not IE8 or firefox3.

I think as more folks get use to vB4 it will grow on them, while there will be still some folks who will resist the change for longer.

13. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Read this:
    vBulletin Community Forum

That shows you how to style it easily enough to start and then as your confidence grows, you can do even more editing the CSS. The system still has all the switches it had before and the XHTML is a lot easier to read.

14. p4guru

p4guru Addict

thanks wayne :)

15. Veccy 150

Veccy 150 Newcomer

First Name:
    Craig
    Not keen on it at all to be honest but i wont be going to v4 anyway.

16. David

David Regular Member

Because everything is either white, or light grey except for text, thats black but small.

Any way, my thoughts:

At first, the style wasn't that impressive, however it does load notably faster than a default 3.x skin which is nice. I think they're making small adjustments to it as they go.

I was honestly expecting updated bbCode layouts with quotes, code, html, etc. Something that was so simplistic as the old ones. (See IP.Board for nice bbCode layouts)

One aspect I thought would be better was the SEO options, even though its in early Beta, it doesn't have canonical tags, and has paragraph tags inside of h1 which won't ever validate. I also thought for sure, they'd have complete URL rewrites for every area of vBulletin (blogs, albums, social groups, etc etc) But I understand this is their first go at rewriting URL's so these will probably come at later versions (hopefully).

I find some things redundant, and I don't think they've enabled all the features of vBulletin yet (such as Ajax, and new options).

Overall, Its not what I expected from all the hype and everything, but its not as bad as some people make it out to be software wise.