Thoughts on vBulletin 4

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Nick, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

So now that most of you can finally play with vBulletin 4 (front end) on vBulletin.com, what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it? Dislike it?

Note: This is not an IB-bashing thread to bash policies, pre-sales, lack of communication, etc. Let's purely discuss the product and its functionality.

2. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I like the "feel" of it. Specifically I'm diggin' the navbar area a lot better. Nice way to take the 'blockiness' out of it IMO.

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

I didn't think I'd like it much after seeing the initial screenshots and such, but after looking around vB.com I actually really like it.

4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I don't like it. I think of it as another forum software, vBulletin (the one we all know and love) being my favorite. My alternatives would be vBulletin 4 or IP.Board, lol.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There are two concerns I have with the new header/navigation:
    1) there are two duplicate links: Settings (one on tabs, one in welcome block) and Inbox/PMs (one in navbar, one in welcome block).
    2) there are now three areas in the small header with links: the navbar, the tabs, and the welcome block. Each has several links, and it's most likely very overwhelming for a "newbie" or an elderly user (or otherwise computer illiterate user).

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Ug.

The absolute worst thing at the moment is the 'New posts' page. No thread preview and no 'go to last unread post' button.

this smilie in particular is atrocious: . The new one looks like it is on drugs with the big dots for eyes. The new version of this one is not so good either: .

There is not enough contrast. Font is terrible and gives me a headache, physically ill from trying to squint and tilting my head from viewing a thread. The font in the reply box would be GREAT, but then it gets transformed into the new font.

I cannot look at it long enough to play with the other features, except to say the new nav bar looks good aesthetically, but it takes 2 mouse clicks to get to 'new posts'

For the record I try my very best not to complain and look at the positive aspects of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  7. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I think those of you that are quite talented at style design have a money printing engine. Looking over the posted StyleVars Dictionary I see there are many ways to customize the look and feel.

I also think there are going to be some very ugly sites out there from people that are design challenged but dig into the styles to move away from the out of the box look, assuming the style shown is for the most part the style that will be delivered as default.

I could spend a lot of time picking apart various aspects of the style, but in the end it looks like all these items will be changeable, so why bother.

I'm thinking vB Solutions is giving us a blank slate to work with here. It's our job to turn it into something we are proud of.

8. Imperial

Imperial Adept

While I haven't poked around the features yet, I am consumed with grief over this default style. I realize that the default style is meant to be customized and changed to match your forum's personality, but it really looks horrible. If this is vBulletin's best foot forward for marketing itself, I am worried for the future. It is a whitewashed, eye-squinting style. Something mimicking the IPB style would have been much appreciated.

9. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

It is bad enough I cannot view the forum for more than a few minutes because of the contrast and font.

Their sites FAQ about v4 on the main page was quite interesting, but I had to cover one eye as to not get sick. I'm not exaggerating.

For me, vb.com is not really usable.

10. mlx

mlx Newcomer

I don't like the new style either. Sure it's meant to be customized. But I'm afraid it may require much more work than the vB3 default style did. Obviously not sure until I'm able to install it myself. One thing is for sure though I wouldn't think about running a forum with the default vB4 style.

Not even to mention those new default smilies. Sure they can easily be replaced by your own smilies. But still ... red lipstick ... really?

Besides that I could basically only find two new features that matter to the end-user, a slightly changed QR and the attachment manager. I like both features. But overall it's a bit disappointing as well.

Or what am I missing?

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I'm not fond of the style, but it's not something that will stop me, I can try and make it look good anyways, couple of graphics here, couple of graphics thar~ 8)

Smileys...they scare me, they look like...they're high on drugs or some shit like that.

12. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    I can see some potential especially for the people not used to working with a lot of code to make a decent skin, but the overall look of the default skin if horrible IMO. Just as many others complained it's way too bright. Also the shadows I don't like. This is all fortunately things we can change. :)

13. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Can't comment, haven't seen it and won't either.

14. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Anyone still use the default style of vB ever? lol

My first impressions is that it does seem less appealing to me. I'm not a graphics person by any means, so forgive my misuse of terminology.

I personally like a good deal of contrast. I don't think there is enough of what can be seen since release. I have to keep in mind that it could change to given its a beta. I can't put my finger on it, but it may be in line with what some of you are saying w/ the brightness. Specifically for me...its the text color and I think the gray=ish band color separating posts. Too light for me.

In the QR, I notice the new icon -- insert video. I think that is a good addition. No more or less effort with BBCODES.

I don't know what I think about the NavBar as of yet. Initially, I was like....left side for all Navigation, and right side for User settings. I guess that makes sense.

Other than that, everything is pretty much to be replaced, redone by the end user, smileys and all, etc. If vB has made it easier for this non-designer, then +1, but time will tell.

I haven't even decided if I will upgrade my current as well as get a second. TBH, my use of Drupal has been quite....enlightening. :D

15. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I don't understand what the deal is with the style and complaints about contrast/eye squinting. It couldn't be anymore crystal clear on my 1280x800 resolution MacBook. I just think it looks terrible.

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    And this has been killing me...

17. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I'm not very intense about it, but I'm runnin 1920x1080p :P Looks more terrible!!

Forgot to mention....when viewing threads, I personally do not like the: Posted by NameHere

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

o.o Me either?

x.x I thought it was okay at first, but I'm quickly disliking the look. They are seriously overusing the shadow and the drop-downs aren't as 'sexy' as the ones in this current version [3.8.4].

They have some bugs with the style and they took out some functions out and made the style more bulky. :S Yeap, the forum looks...BORING. But, I guess you can change that up quickly, I'm at total dislike with the forum threadlist display

19. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Every time I go back to edit the title I can add more and more characters over the original limit. And as you can see, it doesn't wrap well.

20. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    This is what that looks like from the forum index...