The Inevitable Bumps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Chris, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Regular Member

What are your views (as an administrator) on members bumping older topics that have been inactive for lengthy periods of time? If you have a policy specifically relating to such an action, what are your specific rules and/or restrictions? If a member were to continuously bump these topics after receiving a warning, what would you do in response?

2. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

We have no policy regarding it. In fact, about every two months, the users go through and bump a whole bunch of threads. We even have an official Bump Week on the site. Of course, this is all supposed to be done in our Lounge, where they are allowed to play. However, bumping is allowed in the other forums to get attention to a thread or torrent also, but only to get attention, not to play. We've never had any problems with bumping being misused in our almost five years.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

My members rarely bump threads... and on the rare occasions they do, somebody inevitably asks "what's a bump?"

4. Blackout

Blackout Addict

First Name:
    Jacob
    I find bumps to be beneficial rather than having a member make a new topic. Most forums nowadays simply merge the new with the old, therefore bumping it.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I don't mind unless they are solved staff related threads.

6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Generally speaking, if the bump is relevant then there is no action.

7. Demo

Demo Regular Member

First Name:
    Demo
    Depends if it's usefull. Bumping a thread of 3 years old with the sentence 'lol :D' is not usefull

8. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I don't mind bumping it can bring up a topic that has been buried to newer users and stir some more discussion.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I completely agree.

I don't see what the big issue with bumping thread is, unless somebody is doing it for the heck of it. If it continues the thread and sparks some ongoing discussion, than all-the-more power to the "bumper"! :lol:

If I recall correctly, I've seen some forums that automatically lock threads after x weeks of inactivity, which is fairly extreme in my opinion.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That's ridiculous - I fail to see the point in doing something like that. Let's say that a member wants to appropriately participate in a discussion, but due to it's age, the thread is locked. He/she would then have to re-create the discussion by creating a new thread. This is not really viable - think of all of the repetitively posted topics.

It'd be an organizational nightmare.

11. kev

kev Regular Member

I see no problem with bumping old threads.

12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

*bump*

Kidding. Though I just ran with a forum that banned for bumping old threads.

13. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thread bumping is fine if done reasonably, we had a member sign up on our forums to go right back to the beginning of the forums and bump every single thread on the very first page, when new users were signing up they were posting in these ancient threads and a few asked why there was no new threads in this forum. We warned this member to not carry on doing this as it was quite destructive. It is a shame us admins dont have an option to unbump a thread without deleting the post :D

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Now that would be a great feature. :)

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Just stick em to the back where they belong y' know ;)

16. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

whenever I feel like I have to bump a thread that's been ignored, I never just reply with *bump* if I can help it. I always try to include new information about the situation or a description of what consequences not having an answer to the problem is causing.