The Admin Addict Content Giveaway

Discussion in 'Admin Talk News' started by AWS, Aug 4, 2013.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Now that the conversion is done I can move onto the giveaway I mentioned earlier. It's pretty simple really. I will put up for download the databases to some sites I purchased and never used or from sites I am closing. Some of the data is old. Some of it is old with new posts from RSS feeds. The sites that are still online that I will be giving away do have new members signing up. They just don't post.

These databases are from vbulletin, IPB and xenforo. The live sites that I will be closing and giving away the databases are:

http://eightforum.com
    http://dotnetforum.net
    http://windows2008forum.com

If you download those databases and want the domain name contact me and I will sell the domain to you.

There are also a few databases from sites I purchased or closed that you might be familiar with.

These are:

ForumBuddy
    vBnt
    IPB Setup
    Microsoft News Network
    Dell Mini Forum
    SEO Help Forum
    Server Help Forum
    Mac Mini Forum

Why am I doing this?
    I am not using these so if someone else will then they can have them. I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling these so I am giving them away. I am also pairing my network down to just a few sites and no longer need the data.

What can I do with these?
    You can import them into an existing site to add content and membership or start a new site using the data.

How will you give them away?
    It's going to be pretty simple. I will upload them to the resource manager. Once you reach the criteria I set to download them you'll see the links to them appear. In order to download them you'll have to contribute to the community by starting threads or adding resources. I will work out the final details in the next few days.

This isn't a contest. There is no start date or end date. These databases will be available for download forever. As new users reach the criteria to download them they will be able to. That means that while you may be the first to download and use the data there will also be others that could be using it. If you want the data to be exclusive to you then contact me about a price for database. If you buy it then it will be removed from the downloads section.

If you have any questions post away and I'll answer them.

2 people like this.
  2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

and what are the criteria?

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Any user with more than 25 posts will have access to the downloads. So for users such as yourself once they are uploaded this weekend you'll meet the criteria so you'll have access to them. New users have to contribute 50 posts to access them.

4. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

IPB Setup would be nice. I'm sure I could do something with that (If it's the one I'm thinking of which has been owned by both Brandon and John?)

Let me know if you have a price in mind for that. :)

5. BullsNet

BullsNet Regular Member

First Name:
    Gabe
    looking forward to this.

6. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Should have the sites offline by end of the day tomorrow and databases uploaded here soon after.

7. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Just to keep everyone updated. I have 2 of the sites offline. The rest are in process. This is taking longer than expected. Once the other sites are re-directed I will put up the data. I expect to have all the sites done by tomorrow afternoon. Once that is done I will move the data to an external drive and then transfer on the private network to the site. This will be much faster than trying to upload them all. Some of them are rather large.

8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I did wonder how you was going to offer databases from the forum, seeing as they are very large files. Not sure if you self-host this forum yourself or not to do it. But usually a host sets a upload file limit that would nowhere near cover uploading a database, not even zipped up if being large.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Bringing this back to life. As my final farewell I will put up these databases in the resource manager. They will be available for download starting Saturday evening and will remain until I shut the site down on January 1st. They will be available to all members who are currently registered. At the time I put these up for download I will also shutoff registration. This will ensure that only current members can download the databases.

Call this my thank you to all the members.

10. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I uploaded a few of these databases. Check the resources section.

2 people like this.
  11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Hmm, so are you planning on closing all your forums, even this one also? If so, what's made you decided to stop running any forums.

12. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    20 years of doing it has burned me out.

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yeah, I know what you mean and it's just not the same anymore. I recently put mine back hosted again, but don't have the enthusiasm to do anything with it since, mainly because I know I'd be wasting my time the way forum activity is generally now.

So are you closing AA down for good on that date, why you not selling it on?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  14. Akela

Akela Regular Member

I was wondering this too.