Stop Forum Spam was down

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Dan Hutter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

It looks like Friday night until this morning and holy bat poop 30 registrations over night and a crap load of spam. Luckily one of my mods caught most of it. I just turned on new member moderation only to find that SFS is back up.

I actually disabled registration on my two new boards just because of all the spam.

Looks like I'll have to make a donation to SFS. I knew they were helping quite a bit but never realized how much.

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Wow, glad it wasn't Spam-o-matic. Glad to know your staff members were on to catch them. Was it a lot of spammers posting links?

Dan Hutter likes this.
  3. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Yes. Was hit by this as well. I had xenUtilies turned on, too.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I thought I replied to this thread from my phone this afternoon but I guess not. :cautious:

I didn't notice anything here, and we just basically have the question and answer setup. :P

5. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

That's explain why I had spammers get through the other day :)

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

@Iconic had to put new users into "mod approval" because they were spamming our blogs system. I banned about 10 spammers that I saw yesterday. I'm not sure what's up with the influx of them. Maybe, stop forum spam is having some issues?

7. Iconic

Iconic The Original

I banned like 5 after you went to bed. :P I am suprised how much it helps.

8. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I just changed the question and answer. Maybe that last one got figured out, hence the spammers. Thanks bro

Did you change yours as well? @Dan Hutter might be time for a new one. These darn spammers.

9. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I banned all the freemail addresses and am done with it. Just a waste of time deleting 10-20 spam accounts per day.

Code:
    @aol.com @aim.com @gmail.com @yahoo.co @hotmail.com @e-mail.com @live.com @[URL='http://admin-talk.com/members/4032/']outlook[/URL].com @ymail.com @rocketmail.com

10. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

Because my sites are targeted to users within North America I started by cc_deny these countries: CN,RU,VN,BE,KZ,VN
    This may not work well for a site as global as admin-talk but for my personal sites / blogs and my forums it works perfect.

If you have access to WHM on your server just head to ConfigServer Security & Firewall (or vi /etc/csf/csf.conf ,, search for CC_DENY="" and enter say CN for china CC_DENY="CN" . restart CSF csf -r)

Country codes can be found here. Putting that pdf together took longer than it should. Columns - arrrrg!