Soup Talk - The Jobs

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Alien, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Alien Soup is expanding, and we have some positions to fill in that effort. We're trying to pool together a few talented individuals to be part of our team, and we would like YOUR help!

While we do know a couple of people who may be able to fulfill some areas below, we wanted to post the positions publically to gauge interest. If you need further explanation of what each position entails, just ask. If you are NOT currently an Alien Soup/Soup Talk forum member, you may e-mail me also about these positions using our contact form in our footer.

##############
    Open Positions
    ##############

1) HTML Maintenance/Bug Fixers (CSS & DHTML knowledge helpful)

2) PHP and/or PERL Scripter (vB hack creation, and other script use)

3) vB Hack Installer/Maintainer

4) Button, Banner, & General Site Graphics Helper

5) Site Promotion

6) Ad Updater/Maintainer (Ads system currently offline)

We're currently investigating new methods of advertising including using multiple methods including text ads and targetted ads (direct links to specific DVD's, computer parts, etc.) Comparison shopping tools are also being investigated.

We'll need someone who can maintain links, and keep them fresh once we have this set.

7) Link Partners (or those who wish to create a strategic partnership of any type together - quality sites only.)

############
    Requirements:
    ############

a) Must be able to work well with others.
    b) Must be able to produce on a deadline (98% of 'em are quite flexible, however.)

*** We hope some of you will be in on the ground floor of bigger and better things to come! Suggestions welcomed, and appreciated! Join the Alien Soup family today! ***

2. Alien

Alien Regular Member

I'll post MODERATOR openings in the near future as well, after I get some other things squared away...

So stay tuned...

3. Bob

Bob Regular Member

I amm sooo(!!!) interested.

4. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Here's the general information I'll need... Please mail them to me.

...Your Real Name (First is fine)...
    ...Your Username on Alien Soup (*if* you have one)...
    ...Your E-mail that I can reach you at...
    ...Your ICQ/Aim contact information...

...The job(s) you're interested in...
    ...Experienced you have...
    ...Any example pics or samples you have of work you've done (if applicable)...
    ...Other sites you have any staff positions on currently...

That should be it for now... :D

5. Bob

Bob Regular Member

You got mail.

You never mentioned the staff positions in our ICQ conversation though. :)

6. victoronehalf

victoronehalf Regular Member

I'd apply for site promotion, but I'll be able to do that on my own, without any official title.

7. Bob

Bob Regular Member

But official titles are cool .. :P

8. victoronehalf

victoronehalf Regular Member

but I'd have to apply for it... and I probably wouldn't get accepted. I don't have much experience in the promotion field

9. Shogun

Shogun Regular Member

I'd love to be a moderator, as long as we don't need some criteria, like You must be a member for longer than .... or You must have a post count higher than ...

10. YesIndeed

YesIndeed Regular Member

Yeah, same Shogun. *snorts* But I don't think they'd trust me!

11. Bob

Bob Regular Member

I would love to be a mod, but I applied for other job(s) so I won't bother applying.

Good luck to everyone who applied for jobs ..

12. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Speaking from experience, we don't have any steadfast requirements yet for moderator. More like common sense guidelines. (Alien, please correct if you have come up with specific guidelines)

For example, there's no "member for longer than..." requirement, but you should at least be a member long enough to be familiar with how this forum is run, because all forums are run differently.

And we certainly don't have any "must have at least x number of posts" requirement. We hold the quality contained within the posts to be vastly more important than the sheer number of posts. If someone has 100 posts of "Yeah", as opposed to someone who has 20 posts with useful, insightful, and intelligent input and commentary, those 20 posts will go a lot further than the 100 containing useless banter.

13. Bob

Bob Regular Member

This is just from experience with other forums, but mods should be able to provide sufficient time to effectively moderate their forum(s) ..

14. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Indeed... it goes without saying that someone applying for a position should actually have ample time to devote to that position to complete the required tasks.

15. Bob

Bob Regular Member

Yeah, I just couldn't be bothered writing 'it goes without saying'. :)

Alien, just a suggestion, how about appointing some sort of Community Feedback advisor or something, basically a member, or a panel of members where people can submit suggestions to and ask ideas, I know we have a forum for this but my thinking is that the Community Feedback advisor mods the suggestion forum, picks up on the most popular suggestions and general feedback, and then decides whether thay are applicable/worth the time or whatever .. and then (s)he submits the idea(s) to you .. just a thought though ..

16. AlienTech

AlienTech Regular Member

Sent

eMail Sent:bgrin: