So, who else hates the recent Youtube Google + comments thing?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by CM30, Nov 12, 2013.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Because that change they made to the system to force everyone to use a Google + account to even comment on videos is just ridiculous, and the new comments section is now filled with stuff like (working) links to viruses and malicious websites (because they stopped filtering out URLs of external sites).

Quite a few people have made petitions against it:

https://www.change.org/petitions/go...mment-section-back-to-its-original-form#share

https://www.change.org/petitions/yo...op-forcing-google-on-those-that-don-t-want-it

Videos have been made mocking it:

They've been caught using Astroturfing to try and fake a 'positive' reception for something which about 90% of the users think is crap:

I absolutely hate the changes personally, it's why I haven't comment on Youtube for the last month or so. Does anyone else here absolute detest them?

rodserd and Autopilot like this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I rarely comment on youtube video's, doubt I would have even noticed for a few more months..lol

jmurrayhead and Autopilot like this.
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman engiwebmastechanic

I think it's great if I can post links

Superboy likes this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't like it. I preferred using my Youtube name, but I don't think I'll be posting comments as I never do.

My users don't like the changes either. See this thread: Youtube comments.

5. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Google+ is a giant pile of shit. I am not sure they will ever recover from the cluster [****][****][****][****] that they have created with that.

Autopilot likes this.
  6. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Cluster [****][****][****][****]s seem to have a life of their own in drawing more people to whom ever is at fault.

7. The1LT

The1LT Regular Member

Hilarious!

If you like rants, these are pretty funny:

rodserd and Autopilot like this.
  8. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

If you look at it as a social network, yes it is. Personally, I like the layout and fine grained sharing controls but no one is really there except brands - I can get the same information from Facebook, RSS, Twitter, etc so there's nothing 'sticky' about G+ for me. Google puffing up the numbers is ridiculous everyone who has a Gmail account has G+ but no one I know uses it.

That being said I read an article recently about how G+ is actually a success for Google if you look at it from the viewpoint of having a universal sign in (like Facebook) and a few other things. I forget where I read the article (maybe Mashable) but the author made some really good points.

jmurrayhead likes this.
  9. rodserd

rodserd Regular Member

I like Google+ for school. Almost everyone has a gmail account, and we can do hangouts very easily. As a social network, I agree that it is not very useful. However, in five years when Google is our lord and master, they will reward the early adopters of Google+, and they will be privileged to serve drinks on the Google Barges instead of being fed to the Google Sarlaac.

jmurrayhead, The1LT and Dan Hutter like this.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Regular Member

If it comes from Google, I hate it unconditionally.

They do not only want to own everything possible on the web, but they also want to rule the way you surf the web and even the way you express your comments.

When will be the day that they ask their users for feedback before introducing changes? Obviously never.

Big al and CM30 like this.
  11. Catalyst64

Catalyst64 Regular Member

I personally hate this new Google+ thing. They started the whole Google+ thing like, what, one year ago? And now they're forcing us to use it for everything. Right now all of the youtube comments are over extended and 90% of them are about Bob and his tank. I know that when there is something new people are bound to fight against it, but in this case the new youtube look is awful.

12. Caddyman

Caddyman engiwebmastechanic

I <3 Google, we're like....BFF's

13. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

The best reason why this change is crap:

jmurrayhead likes this.
  14. rodserd

rodserd Regular Member

CM30, I don't see how those comments are any different than the way youtube was before. Only difference is now people need to make a throwaway google account instead of a throwaway youtube account.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  16. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Sounds very familiar. Which other large software organization do we know that also censors their customers/members?

17. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

XenForo?

*shot*

Nah, I know which one. Begins with I and ends in 'Brands'.

Also, has anyone noticed that since this change, the number of Youtube comments seems to have dropped significantly? Seriously, I'm subscribed to someone with over 20,000 subscribers, and while their videos before the change had a few hundred comments, their latest ones have something like 30-50 comments, or even in one case... just ten comments.

jmurrayhead and Big al like this.
  18. PassiveHybrid

PassiveHybrid Regular Member

The new set up is just horrible. They should just understand that Google + just won't happen. Yet, they simple plan to just cram it down everyone's face.

19. Trickster

Trickster Regular Member

My first opinion was it that it sucks, but now I'm not sure... There are way more low quality posts and scams now that most people use their real names, so that's cool. I'm sick and tired of YouTube flaming, spamming etc.

But I don't like Google forcing Google+ there. If I ever wanted to sign up, now I won't just because they are forcing it.

20. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Wait, you think more low quality posts and scams is a good thing?