Small based text like rpg game for forum

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Bill Hughes, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Regular Member

I am thinking of making a small based rpg for a forum software. I am debating on which forum to choose to make it for. I can not afford to purchase a forum software to develop for, but I also wish to make some sort of money from this project as I do do a lot of freelancing and time is money.

2. flametiger

flametiger Regular Member

If you want to monetize it then I suggest you look into their modification culture. People tend to expect free things in free forum software than in paid forum.

3. Bill Hughes

What exactly you mean hat flametiger?

4. flametiger

Ah.. I'm afraid my English is not that clear :( Basically look for the community respond to paid modification, if they are willing to fork more money for additional feature. Some people will always expect your mod price is free, regardless how much time and skill spent to develop it. If you plan to monetize it look for forum software community that supporting paid mod and willing to support it. These behaviour is seldom found in free forum software, your best bet is paid forum software.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I agree with @flametiger . If you wish to make a mod for a forum and sell it, then you need to go to their support forum and see if people are buying modification or not. And you can also use that information to gauge a price for it. A great way to find out would be to pick the one you wish to make it for and go to that forum and make a post asking if they would be open to buying it and see if it has demand. Might even get people willing to donate for the development.

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    There are a few RPG's for vBulletin all ready, Xenforo is where there is the least competition.

7. flametiger

I'm pretty interested though. Anyone experienced deploying rpg mod in their forum? I'm curious about bandwitdh usage and resource usage specifically, will shared hosting suffice?

8. Bill Hughes

bandwidth usage depends upon amount of artwork/members playing. I use to contribute to adr-rpg for phpBB 2.0