Skin Generator

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by Imperial, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Imperial

Imperial Adept

I'm a bit miffed at the skin generator for IPB. I use it to get something close to what I want and then when I import it, half of the backgrounds for IP.Content are completely whitewashing the menu text.

And I'm having a horrible time with the images. The images generate fine on the skin generator, but when I actually import them, I'm missing images for the navigation bar gradient and for the post edit/reply/multiquote buttons. I'm manually finding the images on the skin generator, renaming and uploading them where they should be.

I'm glad that IPB has a skin generator, but I wish I could manually input more colors into the generator and see the preview. Sure there's editing the CSS, but that will inevitably be more time consuming. Might end up seeing if there's a pre-made skin that might work :(

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Is IPB's skin generator pretty new?

3. Imperial

Imperial Adept

According to IPS blog, its been up since March 2010: Skin Generator Service - Invision Power Services

As a vB user, I'm used to having a style options page, pop-up html color code charts and a breakdown of each css tag the forum uses and the ability to quickly edit it. Since I'm not familiar with how IPB uses each CSS tag, I'm stuck sorting through the source code.

Meh, I'll just use a dark blue of the default style.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Ah, either right after or right as I left ipb.
    I didn't get a chance to at with it.

5. Imperial

Imperial Adept

The generator is actually very useful since it takes basic color information and builds a full skin around it. Quite a bit easier than trying to eyeball the color codes.

The downside is that the generator only allows you to input 4 colors and it takes a great deal of liberty in generating all other colors. Which is fine when you want a skin to perfectly match everything else. But I prefer to customize and play with the color scheme a bit more and that's where its straight to the CSS style sheet and figuring out tags.