Show name in reputation comments?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If your forum has a reputation system and you have the option to show or hide names from reputation comments, do you enable or disable this option?

On some forums, it is disabled, making reputation comments anonymous unless the person signs their name.
    Usually, I enable the option so that the members don't feel like they can make whatever crude comments they want without having some sort of anonymity.

What is your approach?

2. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I think its better to have the owner of the reputation comment shown. Makes it more personable, b/c it is, regardless if its + or - comment.

Helps to remind people to be civil....sometimes.

3. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Don't even use it on my sites. AA is the first site I've ever it correctly used on. Most others end up with people playing favorites and people boost each other is a quid pro manner.

4. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    I think it is good for people to see who is giving out rep for their posts. As you say it makes people think twice before acting foolishly, but on a more positive note, it is good to who appreciates you.

5. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i dont have a reputation system on two of my forums, but do on the biggest one.

on one of them its because we were on a forum where this was abused, with members giving eachother - all the time because they didnt like them, and even admin removing it from members they liked and giving it to their friends

we do show names on them, so people are put off from keeping giving - to the same people whenever they get the chance

and aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhh rockinrobbins, you posted at the exact same time as i did, and at first i thought that my username and avatar had changed

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

We definitely show the names, positive only, standard vb rep with no mods so people can type in their thoughts.

It is nice to be able to say thank you for an older post without waking up the thread by posting to it, or sending a PM.

7. Nathaniel Altere

Nathaniel Altere Newcomer

First Name:
    Anthony
    I have them revealed. I turned off negative comments so I don't worry about having to hide from thm :)

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I enable showing the names.