Should Google start banning those 'stat' websites?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by CM30, Sep 12, 2013.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

You know the ones, the sites that say 'X site got this amount of traffic and is related to these other sites' and nothing of value?

Because all I get when I search Google for a specific website are these stupid 'this site is worth [some arbitary amount of money]' and 'stat' websites that don't answer my query at all and shouldn't even be in the Google index.

Anyone else agree and think said sites should be banned for being useless? Because they're just a bunch of databases filled with robot compiled data that no one needs...

2. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

All you get? Are you sure about that? I notice too, that a number of useless sites get ranked fairly high inappropriately, but it has never caused me trouble in finding what I wanted to find to begin with. Yea, ending up landing on such a site is frustrating and I would actually think Google does its best to avoid them. But, it happens.

If Google started banning them, then most likely other good sites would get hit under the same rules, which might apply towards that kind of banning. I think finding the right rules is Google's (or any other search engine's) life long business challenge.;)

Scott

Liam W likes this.
  3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

It seems there are a mass of such websites now. I do not mind to get a few in the results, but not pages and pages.

4. CelarD

CelarD Regular Member

Is this some kind of script that can be placed on a "parked" domain/page? I wonder this because it would be easy to detect the user agent and present Google with a different page altogether.

5. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

The problem isn't Google directly. It is the web pages showing basically a bunch of BS matching your search criteria, but with advertisement thrown in and in some cases, in ways which trick users into clicking them. Like Google ads camouflaged as bread crumbs and/ or site navigation. Every click-through gives the owners of these sites money. That is actually where Google (or any advertiser) should step in. They should stop this abuse of their ad systems, so this kind of activity would stop.

Scott